Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just wondered if there are any current students who may have come from or know someone from an Access course and have any idea what their usual offer looks like for BM5?
    I know they state 45distinctions out of 45. Its crazy, i have a merit thats 3credit worth. And what if i get another one?

Would u mention it at the end of your panel interview to make sure u dont get a conditional offer u cant meet?

Or should I wait for results day when i see all my grades and tell them then? They wouldnt lower the offer then would they??
    Please help i'm in debate with myself...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Szandihun)
    Hi, just wondered if there are any current students who may have come from or know someone from an Access course and have any idea what their usual offer looks like for BM5?
    I know they state 45distinctions out of 45. Its crazy, i have a merit thats 3credit worth. And what if i get another one?

Would u mention it at the end of your panel interview to make sure u dont get a conditional offer u cant meet?

Or should I wait for results day when i see all my grades and tell them then? They wouldnt lower the offer then would they??
    Please help i'm in debate with myself...
    Many Medicine courses do not accept Access to HE. I would always suggest A levels. can only see A levels AAA.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...y_requirements

I will assume they do say somewhere 45 credits at distinction which is equivalent to AAA. If you fall short, then you have failed to meet the offer and there is a very small chance they will take you. Only they can say and it will depend how many others have made the grade that year.

You should ask or check with your tutor if theres any chance to resit the module. Check with these people or your tutor.

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx

Tbh if I had an interview , then I would do that plus UKCAT and then let them know after, but its your choice. My fear would be they would reject outright beforehand.

You do not have the luxury of another lower grade. Find out if you can resubmit. there is very little scope to drop grades if medicine is your aim. they are just as harsh on A level students.

HOPEFULLY SOME MEDICAL STUDENTS CAN OFFER THEIR OPINIONS.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your honest opinion. They do accept it where I applied and where i'm going for an interview they looked at my modules specifically, thankfully.
    Thanks for the link. I have been through the process of trying to resit it but they wouldnt let me, as the awarding body specifies it's not allowed.
    I agree they will be just as harsh on us too.

Just wondered if anyone know what's my best option of letting them know about that merit. I'd rather let them know early and know what to expect and explore my other options, if it wouldnt be enough, than just not tell them and wait. But i have heard they lower offers occasionally, i agree its unlikely. With a-levels it's a clearer cut, as so many examples. However at this uni we dont compete against school leavers as mature students. Therefore just was not sure whats the standard as i havent seen many people in similar situation. Normally they get around 50 applicants like this.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I completed an access course a couple of years ago, so can maybe offer some words of wisdom. Firstly, have you had an offer or is that the 'general entry requirements'? If you haven't yet recieved that offer definitely attend the interveiw and maybe mention it whilst there. If you haven't already received an offer they may lower requirments if they like you. If you only get 3 credits at merit out if the 45 I would assume you are likely to still get your place, as its the equivalent of AAA- which doesnt exist in the world of A level; so you would have met the AAA requirement. Many unis call this a near-miss, and depending on how many students meet their requirements, and how much others 'miss' by, determines if you will be accepted. Also, if you don't meet any of your offers then you can always apply through clearing. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for writing your experience. I was definitely gonna attend the interview, I havent received any offers yet it's just a general criteria, as you said. I am just wondering whether I should tell them straight up about my Merit(this is what I would have done) or wait till official results day, which is what my tutor advised to do. Both has pros and cons I think. i am hoping they will think like you, thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.