Turn on thread page Beta

are homophobic people closeted homosexuals? watch

ReputationRep:
    what do you think? or maybe they've rejected the feelings all together and the emotions they express come out as homophobic to suppress these feelings.

ReputationRep:
    The simple direct answer is NO, though it is understandable why in this day and age someone would question a homophob's mental wellness

ReputationRep:
    They can be, just as anybody can be homosexual - whether they are homophobic or not

ReputationRep:
    No, some people just don't like gays.

I can confirm that the answers is no because I'm homophobic myself.

ReputationRep:
    In many cases yes, but not entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Some people over compensate and are very verbally against homosexuality because they are trying to hate away the gay. A messed up coping mechanism to deal with a lot of confusion and inner rage.

But some people are just homophobic, based on religion or upbringing or ignorance. There will always be people who object and turn away from things they can’t understand, luckily there are much less people who are holding these outdated values.
    :party:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, most people who are homophobic (or racist, sexist, etc.) simply hold the views they were raised with. As a child, you believe, by and large, what the adults around you tell you is true, and so if you're brought up surrounded by the view that homosexuality is unnatural/sinful/otherwise wrong, chances are you're not going to question it. Of course, if a person grows up in that kind of environment and then realises that they're gay, they might well try and suppress those feelings, and take out their internalised homophobia on the rest of the LGBT+ community, but I think it would be unwise to suggest that to be true in the majority of cases if there isn't any evidence to suggest it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Here’s a better questiom. Could a homosexual be homophobic?:holmes:

(Original post by cat_mac)
    Some people over compensate and are very verbally against homosexuality because they are trying to hate away the gay. A messed up coping mechanism to deal with a lot of confusion and inner rage.

But some people are just homophobic, based on religion or upbringing or ignorance. There will always be people who object and turn away from things they can’t understand, luckily there are much less people who are holding these outdated values.
    :party:
    Interesting, personally I believe it's because they're not messed up in the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Interesting, personally I believe it's because they're not messed up in the head.
    So all gay people and people who aren’t homophobic are messed up in the head? :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    There are loads of guys in america that attend conversion camps voluntarily, and who condemn homosexuality as a sin. Lots of them say it’s because they want a wife and kids, and pray the gay away.

So it is possible, but very sad to have that hatred for yourself and others like you. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am gay and I've had some homophobic views in the past. I think a lot of it has to do with being ashamed of being gay or not wanting to disappoint your parents. However, by accepting myself I've started to shed some of my homophobic views.

With all that said, the gay/lgbt community puts straight-acting white gay men on a pedestal and worships the ground they walk on while denigrating non-white gays and non-masculine gay men. So to answer your question homosexuals can be and are to a large extent homophobic whether it is based on self-loathing or just *****iness.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.