Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I were to drop my GCSE language ( French ) as I’m really bad at it would that have and effect in what university think. I’m getting 7s in all my subjects except French which I got a 3 in so I’m not sure whether dropping it is worth it or shall I keep on doing it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If you drop it now, no university will ever even know you took French in the first place since you didn't sit exams for it. The only disadvantage would be if you tried to apply to UCL which to my knowledge asks for a pass in a modern foreign language - although this was on the old GCSE system so I'm not sure if it applies now and I'm also not sure if this goes for all subjects.

Other than that, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    So the universities won’t care that I haven’t done a Language as a GCSE ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dillsz1)
    So the universities won’t care that I haven’t done a Language as a GCSE ?
    I've never seen any university ask for a language in its requirements (unless you want to do a language degree obviously) except for UCL tbh so I *think* you should be fine. But even if they did, a 3 in French is a fail so wouldn't work to your advantage even if you did keep it.

ReputationRep:
    No uni would know but as someone already said, UCL would as they require minimum of a C (or now the number-equivalent) for consideration.

ReputationRep:
    I’m in year 11 and dropped graphics a few months ago. so glad i did - it was taking up so much of my time and i really wasn’t very good at it. I picked it in year 9 because i thought it was digital stuff and i thought we’d make cool stuff like we did in year 7 - i was definitely wrong. Anyway i now have 3 study periods a week which i use to get homework done so i can focus on revision at home. Dropping it has saved me so much time and i never would have used graphics in my future career anyway.

I’m still doing 9 gcses and i really do not regret dropping it

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.