Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so I've pretty much messed up my future - im in year 12 and i got quite good GCSEs, doing maths further maths and economics a levels now and wanted to go to a top uni.

i can't now.

year 11s - when making your choices, please be wise - don't be stupid. because of the fact i'm doing further maths as a 3rd subject means i can't go to any top university for economics (rip target) and there's no point of going to bottom unis as they're pointless (rip degree)

apprenticeship you say? no security for me. i wouldn't have transferable skills so yeah when you choose further maths, don't chose it as a 3rd unless you're doing maths at uni. this was something that wasn't made clear to me please don't make the mistake

i can't go into anything that will make me happy anymore
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's only true for LSE and maybe Cambridge!

You can go to Warwick, which is an amazing uni for economics.

ReputationRep:
    omg this seems like the perfect out for me, i am in year 11 right now and i want to do a degree in economics at a top uni just like you. my strongest subject is maths so i thought taking maths, further maths and eco would be perfect. please give me advice if this is not the case x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timif1)
    so I've pretty much messed up my future - im in year 12 and i got quite good GCSEs, doing maths further maths and economics a levels now and wanted to go to a top uni.

i can't now.

year 11s - when making your choices, please be wise - don't be stupid. because of the fact i'm doing further maths as a 3rd subject means i can't go to any top university for economics (rip target) and there's no point of going to bottom unis as they're pointless (rip degree)

apprenticeship you say? no security for me. i wouldn't have transferable skills so yeah when you choose further maths, don't chose it as a 3rd unless you're doing maths at uni. this was something that wasn't made clear to me please don't make the mistake

Can’t you go to the London School of Economics which requires Further Maths.
    Or are you saying that you can’t because you haven’t made Further Maths as your 4th A Level after something else.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundgirl)
    omg this seems like the perfect out for me, i am in year 11 right now and i want to do a degree in economics at a top uni just like you. my strongest subject is maths so i thought taking maths, further maths and eco would be perfect. please give me advice if this is not the case x
    Honestly, work hard and you'll be fine (I applied for econ this year)

ReputationRep:
    You could possibly start A LEVEL HISTORY next year or something like that as another A Level. This involves doing an additional year though. Whatever it takes I suppose

ReputationRep:
    How will further maths stop you going to a top uni?

Maths is often a requirement for economics, especially for the 'top' unis, so surely further mathematics makes your application even more competitive.

ReputationRep:
    You should do something instead of FM (unless you're doing it as a 4th subject) because it's too narrow for unis like LSE! Maybe a science or a language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    Honestly, work hard and you'll be fine (I applied for econ this year)
    thank you, would you guys say taking eco, maths and geography would be a better choice for an eco degree? i.e. less stress maybe and more variety?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thank you, would you guys say taking eco, maths and geography would be a better choice for an eco degree? i.e. less stress maybe and more variety?
    It's fine to take further maths as a third subject unless you're aiming for LSE/Cambridge. If you want to go there, then you should take 4 A-levels, including Further Maths.

ReputationRep:
    and here i was expecting a "don't true drugs or have sex speech"

ReputationRep:
    would i am fairly good at maths, i am predicted 8/9 at gcse and in set 1 out of 9 for maths at my school.

I have always thought of taking further maths as a forth a level but i fear it will be too stressful and i will not be able to cope, most of all i fear it will end up ruining my other subjects and i will end up getting 4 average grade instead of 3 good grades. anyone who has taken a levels or is currently doing a levels, what do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    so I've pretty much messed up my future - im in year 12

Over dramatic possibly?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have maths and econ you should be fine and you might want to take up FM as a 4th subject Oxbridge and LSE like it! The reason I said a science is because it's more mathematically inclined but it's up to you Also, do you want to check out my GYG blog (I do maths and econ and applied for econ so might be useful!) It's called "reach for the stars".

ReputationRep:
    don't.

take another subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine774)
    As long as you have maths and econ you should be fine and you might want to take up FM as a 4th subject Oxbridge and LSE like it! The reason I said a science is because it's more mathematically inclined but it's up to you Also, do you want to check out my GYG blog (I do maths and econ and applied for econ so might be useful!) It's called "reach for the stars".
    sure can u send a link and i will definitely check out your blog

ReputationRep:
    sure can u send a link and i will definitely check out your blog
    Idk how to send a link? Just go on the GYG forum and it's called "Reach for the Stars- Yr 13 GYG" thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    would i am fairly good at maths, i am predicted 8/9 at gcse and in set 1 out of 9 for maths at my school.

I have always thought of taking further maths as a forth a level but i fear it will be too stressful and i will not be able to cope, most of all i fear it will end up ruining my other subjects and i will end up getting 4 average grade instead of 3 good grades. anyone who has taken a levels or is currently doing a levels, what do you suggest?
    You will have to work quite a bit harder and do extra. I'm taking computing, physics, maths and further maths and when you take 4, you get less free periods and are expected to do more outside lessons too. Tldr, take 4 if you really want to (it's good) but he prepared to put in more work and stay on top of things.

ReputationRep:
    because of the fact i'm doing further maths as a 3rd subject
    You're doing double maths, econs? Just those three?

Shame on your school for letting you, if that is the case.

Double maths, phys, econs is about the most popular A level combo at our place and we get loads of top ten uni placements every year.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.