Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello,

I have received conflicting advice about what previous study to include on the student finance form and was hoping you might be able to provide some clarity on the matter.

The previous study section of the form advises excluding any mention of 'self-funded, private university or college courses you didn't achieve an honours degree for'. At the same time it also advises to 'tell us about any higher education course you attended, even if you did not complete it'. I studied two modules with the Open University, both of which were worth 60 credits each. Both of these courses were self-funded (paid by family) and each course resulted in a final result on a transcript but not a qualification (HNC or CertHE) or degree as I only completed both modules to satisfy alternative entry requirements for the university courses I applied to (and not in pursuit of a particular qualification). I was earlier advised by one person from Student Finance England that I should enter both courses in the previous study section and select 'no' to specify that I did not gain a qualification (ie. HNC/CertHE/degree). However another adviser informed me that I didn't need to enter them because both modules did not result in a qualification.

Could you please confirm whether or not I need to enter these courses on the previous study section?

Thanks for your help.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    My understanding is that previous study excludes part time courses that didn’t result in a qualification. But you’re right that the official guidance is not clear so I am mainly posting because I want to see what the SFE reps advise
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by MK26)
    Hello,

I have received conflicting advice about what previous study to include on the student finance form and was hoping you might be able to provide some clarity on the matter.

The previous study section of the form advises excluding any mention of 'self-funded, private university or college courses you didn't achieve an honours degree for'. At the same time it also advises to 'tell us about any higher education course you attended, even if you did not complete it'. I studied two modules with the Open University, both of which were worth 60 credits each. Both of these courses were self-funded (paid by family) and each course resulted in a final result on a transcript but not a qualification (HNC or CertHE) or degree as I only completed both modules to satisfy alternative entry requirements for the university courses I applied to (and not in pursuit of a particular qualification). I was earlier advised by one person from Student Finance England that I should enter both courses in the previous study section and select 'no' to specify that I did not gain a qualification (ie. HNC/CertHE/degree). However another adviser informed me that I didn't need to enter them because both modules did not result in a qualification.

Could you please confirm whether or not I need to enter these courses on the previous study section?

Thanks for your help.

Hi MK26,

Students must study at a minimum of at least 25% intensity (in one Academic Year) for up to a maximum of 16 years to be eligible for funding.

Open Universities are part time courses and if you are studying a higher level than the qualification already gained, you will be eligible to receive future funding for up to a maximum of 16 years.

From this we deduct the amount of years that you have studied part-time.

Please tick the relevant box(es) on the application, entering NO to qualifications achieved and years of previous part time study that you have undertaken.

Thanks Rona

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.