Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I am currently a year 11 history student, struggling majorly in revising effectively, and attaining a good grade (B/6 +) in GCSE History. I am currently studying Conflict & tension in The Cold War 1945-1972, Russia 1894-1945, Britain: Health & the People c.1000- present day, and Elizabethan England, on the new spec (9-1) on the exam board AQA.
    The best grade i have gotten this year was a 4, which is just scraping a pass (C-). My target grade is an 8 (A*) and in my current predicament, I am finding this incredibly daunting, and unachievable. I am a visual learner and can get easily distracted and tend to procrastinate when revising for subjects i don't like (aka HISTORY)
    If anyone has any tips on how to revise effectively, apply my knowledge to exam questions etc and achieve the best i possibly can, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Ellie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejmwilson02)
    Hi all,
    I am currently a year 11 history student, struggling majorly in revising effectively, and attaining a good grade (B/6 +) in GCSE History. I am currently studying Conflict & tension in The Cold War 1945-1972, Russia 1894-1945, Britain: Health & the People c.1000- present day, and Elizabethan England, on the new spec (9-1) on the exam board AQA.
    The best grade i have gotten this year was a 4, which is just scraping a pass (C-). My target grade is an 8 (A*) and in my current predicament, I am finding this incredibly daunting, and unachievable. I am a visual learner and can get easily distracted and tend to procrastinate when revising for subjects i don't like (aka HISTORY)
    If anyone has any tips on how to revise effectively, apply my knowledge to exam questions etc and achieve the best i possibly can, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Ellie
    Hi,
    I'm on AQA too, studying different topics. Personally to revise I always write up my history lesson on revision cards relatively soon after the lesson so it's fresh in my mind. I then get others to test me on my cards. As far as answering exam questions go, my teacher constantly has us answering exam questions in class, and has given us a plan of how to answer the different questions, so maybe your teacher has a similar resource? Practise truly does make perfect, so maybe doing specimen papers and getting your teacher to mark them could be beneficial?

ReputationRep:
    For the longer studies like health and the people, consider the change due to different factors. For example how new technology affected development of medicine and begin with medieval up to present day. Do the same with things like religion, role of the individual, war and conflict etc. Hope this helps (p.s I’m hoping for an 8 but currently sitting at a 6ish)

ReputationRep:
    I am studying Medicine, Weimar and Nazi Germany, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England and The American West for Edexcel GCSE history.

I am finding it extremely difficult too, for both knowledge and exam technique. You are definitely not alone.

If there are some good revision guides for your course, buy them

You absolutely MUST read and refer to mark schemes. They will help you focus on what you need to do to gain full marks, despite that they are extremely difficult to understand, as it csn be very subjective.

Focus on what each question requires of you in terms of knowledge. You then use your content to eliminate information that you won’t need to learn.

Ultimately, it is certainly not feasible to learn everything from the textbook. I wish I could know everything from my revision guides too, but you mustn’t let the stress, perfectionism, or anxiety overwhelm you and implode your brain.

Contact me if you need any help for any other GCSE subjects, or just want to chat about GCSE history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ejmwilson02)
    Hi all,
    Thank you,

Ellie
    Hey Ellie,

If you're a visual learner, you may find Seneca Learning helpful. They have some of the modules you said you do, and it's lots of images and videos to help you learn the information, as well as testing etc. I've found it's helped my massively

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.