Turn on thread page Beta

The powers of photoshop - is this society's fault? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just watched this video. I know it always happens but yet I am still so shocked. I can't help but wonder who's to blame for modern beauty standards, if anyone at all.

Is it society's pressure on women to appear more beautiful the reason behind digitally altering our appearances/spending money on cosmetic surgery (or using cosmetics alone), or would you argue that it's women's pressure on women to appear more beautiful? Or could you even say it's men and fear of rejection?

I personally think the reason females alter their appearance is because we admire other females, predominantly celebrities, and notice that they look a certain way and so we convince ourselves that this is what looks 'good' (and often, what will gain approval). Look at the Kardashian epidemic for example, a lot of females are seeking bum enhancements and lifts - is it because society says a big arse is a nice arse or because females are creating competition amongst themselves and begin to think themselves that only a big arse is a nice arse?

I'm well aware that there are many women out there who are happy with their appearance and don't change, but I'm curious to know why some women do change (whether it's digitally or in real life). It could be as simple as contouring your face to make it look slimmer. What are your thoughts/reasons?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think its more of how celebrities these days are portraying themselves on social media, leading to girls who arent fully mature to fall for the whole 'lip fillers' and 'body enhancements'. Having a role model, like you said 'a member of the Kardashian/Jenner' family will lead to girls or even women to look like them, as they are what women want to look like now. These days its all about having a nice ass, pair of breasts, fuller lips and cheekbones. It disgusts me to see how society has changed, compared to years back and the reason for it (In my opinion) are celebrities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    I think its more of how celebrities these days are portraying themselves on social media, leading to girls who arent fully mature to fall for the whole 'lip fillers' and 'body enhancements'. Having a role model, like you said 'a member of the Kardashian/Jenner' family will lead to girls or even women to look like them, as they are what women want to look like now. These days its all about having a nice ass, pair of breasts, fuller lips and cheekbones. It disgusts me to see how society has changed, compared to years back and the reason for it (In my opinion) are celebrities
    I completely agree. I follow the Kardashians/Jenners on Instagram and I myself will see a photo of them and think "oh I wish I had those lips" or "that ass", and I'm 22.

But do you think society has pushed the Kardashians (for example) into looking the way they do (cause you've got to admit, most of them have cosmetically altered themselves), or is it self-induced?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by euphrosyne)
    I completely agree. I follow the Kardashians/Jenners on Instagram and I myself will see a photo of them and think "oh I wish I had those lips" or "that ass", and I'm 22.

But do you think society has pushed the Kardashians (for example) into looking the way they do (cause you've got to admit, most of them have cosmetically altered themselves), or is it self-induced?
    Interesting question. An I think its self-induced/Environment. Remember how Kylie looked at a young age? But bcuz she had sisters who went from 'Meh' to 'Sh*t den' maybe that was the reason to why she got the enhancements to herself. Imagine if the Kardashians or any other celebrity didnt have the whole malfunction of wardrobes and plastic surgeries? I doubt they would would been famous as they are now. I mean they have their reality show and make up businesses but till 3 years ago, I never heard of that family. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it’s down to the availability of surgeries and ways to modify yourself. When photoshop became completely over-used many have grown up unaware that it is unrealistic. Many celebrities even photoshop their social media leading to people believing they genuinely look like that. Most celebrities have little flaws that be covered with makeup in real life but we are never allowed to see.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.