Turn on thread page Beta

what are my options for getting into uni? watch

Announcements

I'm currently 21, when I was 16-18 I attended college and did a levels however due to mental health issues I did terribly and dropped 2 subjects so only came out of college with 2 A levels both at D grade. I wasn't too worried at the time as I didn't want to go to uni. Now I would love to go to uni but I'm running out of options. I started an access course last year but had to drop out due to the fact I broke my foot and couldn't drive there (the college is an hour away and no public transport went there). I'd love to go back and do the course again but I would have to pay over £3k as you can only apply for the loan once and I've already used it :/ other than an access course, what are my options? my gcses are all B grades so I don't have to retake any. I just really want to go to uni and study biology!

You could apply for the open university or as a mature student to somewhere like Sussex or Reading. However, places are very unlikely to accept you with 2 Ds at A level, so if I were you I'd resit in subjects like biology, chemistry and maths as these are desirable. Realistically you'd need ABB or BBB to get in as a mature student. Hope this helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm currently 21, when I was 16-18 I attended college and did a levels however due to mental health issues I did terribly and dropped 2 subjects so only came out of college with 2 A levels both at D grade. I wasn't too worried at the time as I didn't want to go to uni. Now I would love to go to uni but I'm running out of options. I started an access course last year but had to drop out due to the fact I broke my foot and couldn't drive there (the college is an hour away and no public transport went there). I'd love to go back and do the course again but I would have to pay over £3k as you can only apply for the loan once and I've already used it :/ other than an access course, what are my options? my gcses are all B grades so I don't have to retake any. I just really want to go to uni and study biology!
    Hi, I'm a mature student. I'm going to uni for a foundation year in health and life sciences then move on to adult nursing degree. I looked at Access courses but couldn't fit work around them. so found foundation year at Coventry uni. which is classed as full Time( so I could get funding) but only 9-1 and afternoons is free so I could work. I had to talk to tutor for the degree I want to go into, to see if they would accept it, and need a pass of 65%. I don't know if you can look at foundation years and funding on uni websites and Gov.co.uk
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

You could apply for the open university or as a mature student to somewhere like Sussex or Reading. However, places are very unlikely to accept you with 2 Ds at A level, so if I were you I'd resit in subjects like biology, chemistry and maths as these are desirable. Realistically you'd need ABB or BBB to get in as a mature student. Hope this helps.
    I would redo my a levels however I don't think many places let you retake them unless you pay lots or you self study them?

ReputationRep:
    op do you have any commitments? mortgage, children, work, care? if you don't then just retake your a-levels. get A*AA and apply to a solid university.

(Original post by rickyrossman)
    op do you have any commitments? mortgage, children, work, care? if you don't then just retake your a-levels. get A*AA and apply to a solid university.
    how though? I took the wrong a levels for what I want to do so retaking them would be useless and I really wouldn't want to as I hated the subjects I picked and I don't think I can take new ones anymore unless I self study them?

ReputationRep:
    how though? I took the wrong a levels for what I want to do so retaking them would be useless and I really wouldn't want to as I hated the subjects I picked and I don't think I can take new ones anymore unless I self study them?
    i recommend http://www.liveschool.co.uk/. its run by pembrokeshire college.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.