Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!!

I’m in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Basically, I’ve received all of my offers which I’m extremely happy about, and I tried to choose the uni’s that are close to me due to the fact I don’t want to move away from home, however since I’ve had my offers I’ve been thinking more and more about having a proper uni experience

But, I’m scared I’ll be extremely homesick. It’s just me and my mum and has been for 9 years, so I’m worried that by leaving her on her own she won’t have any support system. She also has a heart problem, which scares me half to death.

I initially wanted to stay home and go to the uni which is closest to me- and also a Russell group with a good reputation for law, however, I’m scared that by staying home I won’t be able to develop independence, proper friendship groups and get to know myself without the watchful eye of my mum, so my questions are

1) How many lectures are there a week, and would it be possible to split my time between uni and home?

2) How did you cope when you moved away, especially if you come from a single parent home

I’m sorry if I sound like a baby, it’s just since my dad passed away I’m extremely worried about leaving mum on her own! Thanks for reading!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bethallsorts)
    Hi all!!

I’m in a bit of a pickle at the moment. Basically, I’ve received all of my offers which I’m extremely happy about, and I tried to choose the uni’s that are close to me due to the fact I don’t want to move away from home, however since I’ve had my offers I’ve been thinking more and more about having a proper uni experience

But, I’m scared I’ll be extremely homesick. It’s just me and my mum and has been for 9 years, so I’m worried that by leaving her on her own she won’t have any support system. She also has a heart problem, which scares me half to death.

I initially wanted to stay home and go to the uni which is closest to me- and also a Russell group with a good reputation for law, however, I’m scared that by staying home I won’t be able to develop independence, proper friendship groups and get to know myself without the watchful eye of my mum, so my questions are

1) How many lectures are there a week, and would it be possible to split my time between uni and home?

2) How did you cope when you moved away, especially if you come from a single parent home

I’m sorry if I sound like a baby, it’s just since my dad passed away I’m extremely worried about leaving mum on her own! Thanks for reading!
    You need to ask your university about contact time.

Have you thought about moving out into hall but staying local so you could get home every weekend or midweek if you want to.

Also have you spoken to your mum about this? She might be happy to have the house to herself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethallsorts)
    Hi all!!

Sorry to hear about your Mum's condition don't worry about sounding like a bay your worry's are quite valid

You seem quite worried about home sickness I get that it's highly likley that you will experience it at some point (most people do first time away from home and all that). There are a few ways to overcome it but whichever one will work for you really depends on you:

1/ Skype a Skype call is good it means you can see and speak to your Mum an see that she's ok and things which helps some people.

2/Lectures if youspend a lot of time concentrating on your study's you'll not feel so bad because your concentrating on something else

3/ Partying the same as above your concentrating on something else but with beer and the possibility of getting lucky.

Really you'll have to ride it out it's not nice but you do get over it quite quickly usually in a few days or a week or two. I also found that being in a closer uni (I went to two) meant it didn't hit as hard.

to answer your questions:

1/ This is a really hard question to answer it depends on course and university I had about 24 hours a week in uni including labs and about 15 hours of work outside of that assignments and the like. if your doing STEM course you'll either have quite long days or be in uni 5 days a week more arty or humanity's tend to have less hours and remember it's not prison you can go home every weekend if you want to (guess who did that in his first term.)

2/ I didn't cope too well at first I didn't like where I was and spent most nights hiding from that fact in my room. However when i moved to a place i actually liked I flourished made loads of friends learnt to cook and became the man I am today. what i learnt from that is that location is so important if you don't like the location you wont survive.
    hope that helps.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.