The Student Room Group

RAF application

I recently applied to join the RAF as an IntO, I had my CBAT last week and missed out on passing for my branch by the smallest margin.

It was the first time I’d sat the CBAT, and although I’d passed for AMB, WSOP linguist and ATC, Intelligence is what my heart is set on. My AFCO had contacted me and asked if I’d like to pursue as an intelligence analyst at trade level instead. I had really hoped to go in as an officer, but am considering going in at trade.

Can anyone let me know if I do go in as IntAn, how long it would be before it is likely I could go/attain a commission? Or whether it would be worth waiting a year and resitting my CBAT.

Any advice/help/recommendations would be wonderful.
Original post by lfegg92
I recently applied to join the RAF as an IntO, I had my CBAT last week and missed out on passing for my branch by the smallest margin.

It was the first time I’d sat the CBAT, and although I’d passed for AMB, WSOP linguist and ATC, Intelligence is what my heart is set on. My AFCO had contacted me and asked if I’d like to pursue as an intelligence analyst at trade level instead. I had really hoped to go in as an officer, but am considering going in at trade.

Can anyone let me know if I do go in as IntAn, how long it would be before it is likely I could go/attain a commission? Or whether it would be worth waiting a year and resitting my CBAT.

Hi there,

Across all of the armed forces going in as trade then going for a commission has the same benefits. You will increase your pension by going in as a trade then officer. Your experience in as a trade will help you if you decide to go for a commission as you'll know how it works from both ends. Clearly the RAF are interested in you and can see the potential in you, as a result they have asked you. I would take the offer if I was you, theres no point faffing around, just crack on with your career. You will reap the benefits. There has never been a case of a trade going to officer and not recommending the option. At the moment the Royal Navy are pushing sailors to go for a commission.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by lfegg92

Minimum? Couple of years to have a realistic chance.

You have to apply in the same way any civilian would, but there's zero guarantee you'd get in as officer. The question you need to ask yourself is would you be happy staying in a career as an IntAn if you didn't make the standard for IntO?

Remember, the CBAT is only one hurdle. There are many many more.
Reply 3
You need to think about what attracted you to the role of IntO in the first place. Was it a passion for intelligence work as a whole or do you want to be managing IntA's and briefing SCO's?

As Drewski has already said, there is no guarantee that you will be promoted to Officer, so you if your ultimate goal is to work as an IntO, then I would suggest waiting the year to retake the CBAT vs. committing to a career as an IntA.

If you don't want to wait a year to re-take the CBAT and you're open to the Army and Navy, then you could certainly investigate the Intelligence branch options with them too. I believe for the most part that Int roles throughout the forces are trained together and work together so you would likely still get to work with the RAF even if you are an IntO in the Army, for example. It's all food for thought. But if your sights are set on RAF IntO then 1 year is really not that long in comparison to the 20-year career you'll have afterwards. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by vodapo
As Drewski has already said, there is no guarantee that you will be promoted to Officer

Just to clarify, it's not about being promoted. To go from NCO to officer, no matter what level, you have to apply for the office branch.

Previously, you applied in service, begging a recommendation from your boss. Now, that's no longer the case, you go and apply like anyone else, but without the support of your boss it's unlikely you'll get very far. And you'll also have to factor that you won't really have a decent chance to do that until you're well into your first tour...

Quick Reply

Latest