Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice... anything... please...

I am a Canadian student (well- I completed a semester and then decided to take a gap year). I'm currently living in Italy and have been struggling to figure out what to do when my visa expires. I have been offered an unconditional place at the University of Northampton for law. I've always been interested in studying law but never seriously considered it because it is virtually impossible to get into law school in Canada (especially difficult in the area I'm from as we have ONE law school.

I understand that if I decide to study law in the UK my degree will be pretty much useless in Canada without extensive examinations and further education so I am seriously considering making a permanent move to the UK. However, the conversion rate is atrocious and I will be paying a lot of money (granted- not that much more than if studying law in Canada) for this degree so it is very important that I do my research and find out if I would even have any job prospects after graduation as a Canadian in the UK.

I also know that you guys are in the midst of a very strange political/economic/general period and I'm not sure what that means for potential "immigrants" like myself.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    if your Canadian i wouldn't worry about immigrant situation

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Canadians study law at various UK universities. I know my university has specific talks and presentations about how to qualify back in Canada. Alternatively, if you wish to stay in the UK permanently, a law degree from a respectable university (not sure about Northampton specifically?) should hold you in good stead. Having said that, a career in law is highly competitive. You should remain aware of that.

Also, having international experience and a more global outlook is something law firms may value, so long as you discuss your experiences in a non-cliche way.

ReputationRep:
    No need to overthink things:

- If you want to study law in Canada, go study it there. It's a grad-entry course, so you can still do an undergrad law degree in the UK (three years), before moving on to Canada. This route keeps your options open, but it's obviously expensive.

- If you want to study law in the UK, go to a better university than Northampton for the LLB and do the usual 'I'm a committed law student' stuff, like getting good grades, extacurriculars, and so on. The only difficulty will be that you will need a job out of uni, and an employer that will sponsor a Tier 2 visa for internationals. Brexit doesn't affect you - you're not an EU immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    Crap uni and you're 100% wrong about the Canadian/useless degree thing - I know loads of Canadians and Brits who used undergrad law to convert easily in Canada quickly, the QMUL and Oxford senior status courses are full of Canadians for that very reason. You should do your research (and posting here doesn't count as research).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InternalScreamin)
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice... anything... please...

I am a Canadian student (well- I completed a semester and then decided to take a gap year). I'm currently living in Italy and have been struggling to figure out what to do when my visa expires. I have been offered an unconditional place at the University of Northampton for law. I've always been interested in studying law but never seriously considered it because it is virtually impossible to get into law school in Canada (especially difficult in the area I'm from as we have ONE law school.

I understand that if I decide to study law in the UK my degree will be pretty much useless in Canada without extensive examinations and further education so I am seriously considering making a permanent move to the UK. However, the conversion rate is atrocious and I will be paying a lot of money (granted- not that much more than if studying law in Canada) for this degree so it is very important that I do my research and find out if I would even have any job prospects after graduation as a Canadian in the UK.

I also know that you guys are in the midst of a very strange political/economic/general period and I'm not sure what that means for potential "immigrants" like myself.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Hi there. Here are a few things I would advise you:

1) Try to get into a top 20 (if not top 30) uni. It might not matter if you were to go back to Canada, but reputation really matters within the legal circle, especially in the UK. You'll realise that you'd be extremely limited with options if you choose a subpar university. In your case, I would highly recommend you to choose other universities (ex. Exeter, Bristol, UCL, LSE, Nottingham, Birmingham, etc.). Not only would this open up other opportunities, you'll be able to connect with other individuals in the top London firms at your uni law fair.

2) While it's true there are a few obstacles getting back to Canada after you complete your degree, it is still a potential option for you. I'm not going to talk about this (as this is not the right forum), but remember that this is still something you could consider.

3) The odds are against you. You are considered bottom tier in the candidate pool, after UK citizens and EU citizens. It will be extremely difficult to get a position in the UK at a law firm and only big firms would sponsor you to stay. I would highly reconsider it as you are putting all your eggs in one basket by restricting yourself to practice in the UK. While I'm sure there are many Canadian graduates that managed to stay in the UK, this is extremely unlikely for most Canadians and other international students studying here.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.