Turn on thread page Beta

Automatic driving test-handbrake and neutral? watch

I'm doing my driving test very soon and due to various reasons I had to finish my lessons and prepare for my test with my dad in my car, which is a semi-automatic. When I was doing lessons with my instructor in an automatic car, he only told me to put the handbrake on. He never told me to put it into neutral or to take my foot off the brake to stop glare, so is it necessary for the test?

Many people online say to put automatic cars into neutral so that if your foot slips off the brake then it won't try to creep forward, but as mine is semi-automatic, it doesn't start moving when you take your foot off the brake like an ordinary automatic, but I don't want to fail my test for something like not putting my car into neutral! If I stop at the lights and wait for the recommended five seconds then put the handbrake on, can I take my foot off the break with the car still in drive until the lights change?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.