Turn on thread page Beta

B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018 watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What is this?/I'm confused
    Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1338 - Capital Punishment (Referendum) Bill 2018, Connor27A Bill to legislate for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment as a penalty for the most serious crimes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 The referendum
    (1) A referendum is to be held on whether the United Kingdom should reintroduce capital punishment.

(2) The question that is to appear on the ballot papers is—
    “Should the United Kingdom reintroduce capital punishment?”

2 Extent, commencement, and short title
    (1) This Act extends to the whole of the United Kingdom.

(2) This Act comes into force on the day on which it is passed.

(3) Appendix 1 comes into force in the event of a “yes” vote in the ensuing referendum.

(4) This Act may be cited as the Capital Punishment (Referendum) Act 2018

Appendix 1:

(1) From the date of this appendix coming into law, any judge has the discretion to decree a penalty of death by lethal injection, where they deem it appropriate, and only where a sentence of life imprisonment is an option , for crimes of which a defendant has been found guilty by a jury.

(2) Any death sentence issued is subject to a potential veto by the Secretary of State for Justice upon request, upon which the sentence shall be commuted to life imprisonment.

Notes:

This bill legislates for a referendum on the reintroduction of capital punishment in the UK.

I have noticed the multiple opinion polls showing a clear majority among the general public for reinstatement of capital punishment; but despite this because of politicians being personally against the issue is ignored.

Debate is healthy, and even though I may be personally opposed to capital punishment, I believe that the debate must be held due to popular demand, and the people deserve a say in whether or not the death penalty should return.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

I do not believe there is popular demand for such a referendum, which will be costly. MPs are perfectly capable of deciding on this issue in Parliament.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay, an expensive referendum that nobody has demanded for and the verdict of the referendum is quite clear.

It will be a waste of time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As always, will voting in favour of this mean a referendum takes place on TSR or that capital punishment passes into law automatically?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I’m not for Capital punishment though I’d definitely like to see what people around think on the issue. It’s a more grey area than the Monarchy issue and thus would give my support with bringing the referendum to the table. Aye
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer an advisory referendum which then allows parliament to legislate for the death penalty where it is deemed appropriate. However due to the fact I believe this issue should be settled, I will vote for this legislation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Nay. I don’t agree with capital punishment necessarily but holding a referendum will be too costly and time consuming.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm presuming this is a proposal to hold a TSR referendum?

If so, I'm inclined to support it, as there isn't much going on for it to interrupt at the moment. It's not perhaps the greatest issue in the world, but it's probably sufficiently divisive on here to work as intended.

ReputationRep:
    Aye- common sense really

ReputationRep:
    I would like to affirm indeed that this is for a TSR Referendum and hopefully DayneD89 can confirm that.

As for those that state there isn’t demand for a referendum: explain the various opinion polls in the 50 years since the death penalty was abolished that show vast swathes of the public in favour of reintroduction; indeed in the 1980s there was a 73% majority in favour of reintroduction in a poll, and as recently as 2014 there has been a poll showing a majority in favour.

Source: http://www.ipsos-mori-generations.com/Death-Penalty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
    Nay. I don’t agree with capital punishment necessarily but holding a referendum will be too costly and time consuming.
    Do you ever vote for anything that doesn’t have your party or government name attached to it?

I certainly have never seen you do so...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Should be advisory. But other than that, I don't really have a reason to oppose this... which I find surprising considering the author

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeGeek)
    Should be advisory. But other than that, I don't really have a reason to oppose this... which I find surprising considering the author
    I thank the right honourable gentleman, however, as there is criticism of this for being a “waste of money”; I feel that it needs to be binding, making it advisory would only compound this criticism.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm slightly torn on this one. I agree with letting people have their say on an issue, but at the same time I am fundamentally against the death penalty. If this referendum were advisory, then I'd certainly vote in favour, but the fact that the outcome of a 'yes' result is to automatically re-introduce the death penalty is the reason for my hesitancy.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If this were real life: hell nay. I believe in a representative democracy and would be very happy to never see another referendum again.

As this is TSR, it might be fun to have one if no-one else has any more interesting ideas. That being said, in its present state I will abstain - I would prefer the outcome of the vote to be advisory as others have suggested.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker

We had many debates about capital punishments and there have been many attempts to reintroduce capital punishments on mhoc. Whilst I agreed with capital punishments I'm not sure if we should be wasting money on a referendum. I believe we are capped at one referendum per term on TSR? (someone create me if I'm wrong) so I do not wish to waste this referendum on this and reserve it for something else.

So I'll abstain for now.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jarred)
    If this were real life: hell nay. I believe in a representative democracy and would be very happy to never see another referendum again.

As this is TSR, it might be fun to have one if no-one else has any more interesting ideas. That being said, in its present state I will abstain - I would prefer the outcome of the vote to be advisory as others have suggested.
    This pretty much sums up my views
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    I believe we are capped at one referendum per term on TSR? (someone create me if I'm wrong)
    *Correct. (that was ironic:eviltongue:)

and I believe you are correct. That said, the only other issue that I can see a popular referendum for is monarchy, which MHoC has debated to death (as a topic) compared to this.

(Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
    Nay, an expensive referendum that nobody has demanded for and the verdict of the referendum is quite clear.

It will be a waste of time.
    This is :tsr2: Everything is a waste of time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I am pretty sure that to reintroduce capital punishment (if that is the result of the referendum) is contrary to the European Convention on Human rights,different to the EU, and in no way would I think leaving the convention be a good idea.

I'll abstain as I'm indifferent to the actual idea of a referendum but there is no harm in adding something new to the debate.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. I have no interest in further debating this barbaric concept that belongs in the past.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.