Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

After effects of keyhole surgery watch

Announcements

I’m a 15 years old girl and on the 9th of February I had my keyhole surgery done to remove my gallbladder. I did have to stay in hospital for 4 days but was released later. My Pediatric surgeon told me i should heal in a few days. It’s been a week and a few days and I’m still sore and having pain when I do my normal things such as walking. There’s this black scab in my belly button like it’s big and covers my belly button and I’m not sure weather that’s supposed to be there or not. I’m just wondering would that stay forever or would it go and how much longer would I exactly need to wait to recover fully.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I’m a 15 years old girl and on the 9th of February I had my keyhole surgery done to remove my gallbladder. I did have to stay in hospital for 4 days but was released later. My Pediatric surgeon told me i should heal in a few days. It’s been a week and a few days and I’m still sore and having pain when I do my normal things such as walking. There’s this black scab in my belly button like it’s big and covers my belly button and I’m not sure weather that’s supposed to be there or not. I’m just wondering would that stay forever or would it go and how much longer would I exactly need to wait to recover fully.

Hi, when I was 15 I had keyhole to remove my appendix. I had a big scab over my belly button, don't worry they will go! takes a good few weeks/ months but you must not pick at them. Even if a bit looks ready to come off just leave it or the scars get worse in the future.

Get some prolegene gel or bio oil to put on the scars every day
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I had keyhole for something else. My belly button scab was there for maybe about 2 weeks. Took up the whole thing for me too.
    I'm sure the pain is normal considering what you had done, but you might want to just check in with somebody like your GP or a nurse at your surgery for peace of mind and so they can have a quick look at stuff to make sure it's healing well.
    One thing to look out for though is if the pain is in your incision site specifically or if you've got burning or red skin in that area. Could indicate an infection.

So yeah you might as well call your GP surgery for a quick check up, but it doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about.

(Original post by graceflower4747)
    Hi, when I was 15 I had keyhole to remove my appendix. I had a big scab over my belly button, don't worry they will go! takes a good few weeks/ months but you must not pick at them. Even if a bit looks ready to come off just leave it or the scars get worse in the future.

Get some prolegene gel or bio oil to put on the scars every day
    Thanks for the response I’m going to my gp tomorrow to see what they since and what could be done about the pain but thank you anyways

(Original post by Kindred)
    I had keyhole for something else. My belly button scab was there for maybe about 2 weeks. Took up the whole thing for me too.
    I'm sure the pain is normal considering what you had done, but you might want to just check in with somebody like your GP or a nurse at your surgery for peace of mind and so they can have a quick look at stuff to make sure it's healing well.
    One thing to look out for though is if the pain is in your incision site specifically or if you've got burning or red skin in that area. Could indicate an infection.

So yeah you might as well call your GP surgery for a quick check up, but it doesn't sound like there's anything to worry about.
    I’m going in tomorrow to see what they can do about the pain because I’m supposed to be back in school this week and it looks like I’m not ready to go back as I can bearly walk without complaining but thank you any ways for the response

ReputationRep:
    Minor complications are estimated to occur in one or two out of every 100 cases following Keyhole Surgery.

They include: infection minor bleeding and bruising around the incision feeling sick and vomiting Serious complications.

Serious complications after Keyhole Surgery are estimated to occur in one out of every 1,000 cases.

They include: damage to an organ, such as your bowel or bladder, which could result in the loss of organ function damage to a major artery complications arising from the use of carbon dioxide during the procedure, such as the gas bubbles entering your veins or arteries
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I’m going in tomorrow to see what they can do about the pain because I’m supposed to be back in school this week and it looks like I’m not ready to go back as I can bearly walk without complaining but thank you any ways for the response
    Good idea. When you are ready to go back you could talk to school about anything that could make it a bit easier (Iike maybe keeping some of your heavy stuff in a classroom until you need it or leaving class a tad early so the halls aren't as busy when you go to your next one).
    Good luck tomorrow. I hope there's nothing going on and they can help with the pain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.