Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does/did anyone have this problem? I've never really had a good group of friends during my secondary school years, and the ones that I made in year 10/11 all left to go to different schools. I kinda regret staying on at my sixth form because I just feel really sad and lonely. I have literally one friend and like other people, I talk to but wouldn't classify them as friends.I just feel like I'm wasting my teenage years whilst everyone is going out to parties and having fun whilst I'm just sitting at home. I've tried talking to new people but everyone has already established their friendship groups. How do you get through these two years quickly? Does it get better? Do you make real friends at university? I really want to get good grades and go to university but I just feel really demotivated and lonely that I can't get anything done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acoolgall)
    Does/did anyone have this problem? I've never really had a good group of friends during my secondary school years, and the ones that I made in year 10/11 all left to go to different schools. I kinda regret staying on at my sixth form because I just feel really sad and lonely. I have literally one friend and like other people, I talk to but wouldn't classify them as friends.I just feel like I'm wasting my teenage years whilst everyone is going out to parties and having fun whilst I'm just sitting at home. I've tried talking to new people but everyone has already established their friendship groups. How do you get through these two years quickly? Does it get better? Do you make real friends at university? I really want to get good grades and go to university but I just feel really demotivated and lonely that I can't get anything done
    You’re not the only one, a lot of people are having the same problem.

ReputationRep:
    Its a **** situation tbh i moved sixth forms and within 2 days i moved back to my old one because its very hard to make new friends at our age and people have already formed friendship circles. If you want to make friends now then make some effort to be outgoing and likeable, if not then remember at uni we'll all be in the same situation - we'll know literally no one, so therefore will be so easy to make friends, and also theres a lot more ppl at uni. Everything will deffo get better

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem (currently in year 13 btw).

There are many people I can talk to and can have a good laugh with, but there only 2 people in the entire year group that I have a proper friendship with. There is a good chance that I will won't talk to anyone I currently know, because I haven't established any long-term friendships whilst I'm here. I have a feeling that most people will go their separate ways when they go to university anyway

I think I also made the wrong decision in staying in the same school. I lost the opportunity to meet new people in a different school and have a fresh start.

I also have mild depression and anxiety, which probably explains it all

Based on your feelings of being 'lonely', 'demotivated' I would suggest just checking with your GP whether or not you have mental health issues. It's a lot more common than you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Yap)

There are many people I can talk to and can have a good laugh with, but there only 2 people in the entire year group that I have a proper friendship with. There is a good chance that I will won't talk to anyone I currently know, because I haven't established any long-term friendships whilst I'm here. I have a feeling that most people will go their separate ways when they go to university anyway

I think I also made the wrong decision in staying in the same school. I lost the opportunity to meet new people in a different school and have a fresh start.

Based on your feelings of being 'lonely', 'demotivated' I would suggest just checking with your GP whether or not you have mental health issues. It's a lot more common than you think.
    I wished my secondary had a sixth form because then I would stay with my friends. But because I don’t and I’m got a fresh start I don’t talk to a lot of people and even if I do it’s like they don’t want to speak to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b7621b)
    Its a **** situation tbh i moved sixth forms and within 2 days i moved back to my old one because its very hard to make new friends at our age and people have already formed friendship circles. If you want to make friends now then make some effort to be outgoing and likeable, if not then remember at uni we'll all be in the same situation - we'll know literally no one, so therefore will be so easy to make friends, and also theres a lot more ppl at uni. Everything will deffo get better
    I completely agree.

Just to add to your point:
    OP, at university and beyond, you will always be meeting new people and will no longer be confined to making friendships within your year group. People are way more mature at university and are more open.

ReputationRep:
    have you tried making friends outside of school, through clubs or activities? that way you can concentrate on studying at sixth form and relax with friends from outside of school at the weekends etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_Yap)

yeah, it's just that my school is really clique and I always feel everyone is judging me about everything I do. I also find it really hard and get nervous to talking to people you already kinda know just because they already have an opinion on you

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.