Turn on thread page Beta

Upset about Italy, it's my fault? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.
    I live in Italy, and I'm worried about some problems.

1) The lack of meritocracy, no matter how good you are, if you do not have friends in strong positions, you won't have a carrier.

2) A political class that don't have a degree and the competences to take care of the country, and that have relationships with mafia.

3) The few importance given to University and school, Italy invest very few money in education and the structures of the building are terribles.

Every year is going worst, I don't want to seem pessimist, but I have moments when I think: what I'm doing in this place?

Obviously there are also good things about Italy like art, monuments, etc..but those things don't help you to eat or making a career.

What your opinion about?

Thanks
    WiSi.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Hi guys.
    I live in Italy, and I'm worried about some problems.

1) The lack of meritocracy, no matter how good you are, if you do not have friends in strong positions, you won't have a carrier.

2) A political class that don't have a degree and the competences to take care of the country, and that have relationships with mafia.

3) The few importance given to University and school, Italy invest very few money in education and the structures of the building are terribles.

Every year is going worst, I don't want to seem pessimist, but I have moments when I think: what I'm doing in this place?

Obviously there are also good things about Italy like art, monuments, etc..but those things don't help you to eat or making a career.

What your opinion about?

Thanks
    WiSi.
    It's interesting to hear another perspective on Italy, because I only know it as a person from England who'd like to visit. I think most people have things they don't like about their country and government, but you aren't stuck in Italy if you don't want to be Perhaps you could look into trying to take your career to another country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    It's interesting to hear another perspective on Italy, because I only know it as a person from England who'd like to visit. I think most people have things they don't like about their country and government, but you aren't stuck in Italy if you don't want to be Perhaps you could look into trying to take your career to another country?
    Yes, obviously, my hope is the english language that I hope it will help me to go in another country.

Italy is a very strange country, if you have money is probably one of the best country, but if you have to work, it will be better to go anywhere else, unless your family have a company that works good.
    http://www.italianinsider.it/?q=node/3591
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Yes, obviously, my hope is the english language that I hope it will help me to go in another country.

Italy is a very strange country, if you have money is probably one of the best country, but if you have to work, it will be better to go anywhere else, unless your family have a company that works good.
    Your English is pretty decent considering it isn't your first language!

I can imagine that, actually. One of those places where you have to have money and/or contacts or it's really difficult

ReputationRep:
    Your English is pretty decent considering it isn't your first language!

I can imagine that, actually. One of those places where you have to have money and/or contacts or it's really difficult
    Yes.
    You know, from my perspective the main problem of a young person from others countries like UK or USA is the very high tuition fee.
    In Italy universities for those have low income is almost free, but this do not solve the problem due to the lack of meritocracy.
    We lack the UK carrier system made of: entry level, senior level, importance of Curriculum Vitae, etc...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by WiSi)
    Yes.
    You know, from my perspective the main problem of a young person from others countries like UK or USA is the very high tuition fee.
    In Italy universities for those have low income is almost free, but this do not solve the problem due to the lack of meritocracy.
    We lack the UK carrier system made of: entry level, senior level, importance of Curriculum Vitae, etc...
    Ah yeah, so it's harder to get in and the bottom level of a job and progress?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, so it's harder to get in and the bottom level of a job and progress?
    Yes, it mostly depends on what your superior things of your person, and not about how productive or useful you are.
    Obviously there are exceptions, but are rare.
    In the public sector there is corruption, and professor prefer to give the PhD to the students they want, http://www.ansa.it/english/news/gene...d232a39c4.html

Females have also more difficulties then males, because the companies in Italy have to give to girls 6 month of paid period for the maternity leave.

There are also few place of Jobs, due to the high tax burden.
    Companies prefer to invest in countries with less taxes, or where they have the opportunity to create higher salaries.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.