Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dropping 4th a level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am currently in my first year of sixth form and am taking maths further maths physics and economics, however I am not enjoying physics and am not doing nearly as well as any of the other subjects I also don’t see the point of doing a fourth a level when I could spend the extra time solidifying my knowledge in the others and so on. I want to do a maths/economics course at a good uni would dropping physics be a good thing to do or would it harm my application significantly ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedadvice10101)
    So I am currently in my first year of sixth form and am taking maths further maths physics and economics, however I am not enjoying physics and am not doing nearly as well as any of the other subjects I also don’t see the point of doing a fourth a level when I could spend the extra time solidifying my knowledge in the others and so on. I want to do a maths/economics course at a good uni would dropping physics be a good thing to do or would it harm my application significantly ? Thanks

I'm taking 4 A Levels (I'm in second year A level) which are similar to yours except I'm doing chemistry as opposed to economics. I had (and still have) the issue you're having with (but for me it's chemistry which is the weak one). In all honesty I wish I'd dropped the fourth subject looking back. Unless you're applying to a TOP university there's not much point, especially considering your possible course choices. Only Oxbridge and a few others expect (but don't ask for) 4 A Levels.

I know I'd rather have 3 top grades than 4 mediocre ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineedadvice10101)
    The main issue here is that you wouldn't be taking further maths as a 4th subject, something which a lot of unis require. Having said that, most top unis don't mind it as long as you're applying for a maths related degree.

I'm in my second year of sixth form and have just dropped my 4th subject leaving me with just maths, further maths and physics. I had to contact each of my unis (LSE, UCL and Warwick) and ask directly whether they would accept me with further maths as my 3rd A-level, and only once they said yes did I go ahead and drop it.

So my advice would be to stick with all 4 subjects until you have a better idea of what exactly you want to apply for. Once you've chosen that then you can contact individual unis and ask what their view on it is.

ReputationRep:
    I did 4 A-levels (Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and Psychology) and in my second year dropped Spanish (it was an a-level so i didn't even get an AS in it!) and even though i wasted an entire year (i hated it!!!!!!!!), i can tell you my grades went from AAU to A*A*A so it is 100000000% worth it if you feel like your other grades are suffering.
    Of course, 4 A-levels look great for Uni applications but it isn't necessary so don't put yourself through any unnecessary stress if you're not enjoying Physics.
    XO

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.