Turn on thread page Beta

I have this fear of initiating contact with friends all the time and I spend most my time just waiting for other people to text me. I think it probably is some kind of mental block and I just have this fear that they don`t really want to hang out but are just doing it to be nice or something so I find it easier when someone else just invites me along. I`m pretty lonely at uni in a studio with practically no social life but my flatmates from first year often invite me round their house for stuff every so often often. I feel like I can`t really return the favour and would like to hang out with them but strangely I feel scared to text first in case I`m annoying them or something. It feels kind of weird though when they all live together and you as one person have to invite them as a group sort of thing. I just think that they have their own lives and social circles so its best to wait for them to contact me yet at the same time I just want to hang out with them.
    Should I contact and how should I approach it as I don`t want to feel like I`m asking them if I can tag along with them to something even though that`s kind of what I`m doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have this fear of initiating contact with friends all the time and I spend most my time just waiting for other people to text me. I think it probably is some kind of mental block and I just have this fear that they don`t really want to hang out but are just doing it to be nice or something so I find it easier when someone else just invites me along. I`m pretty lonely at uni in a studio with practically no social life but my flatmates from first year often invite me round their house for stuff every so often often. I feel like I can`t really return the favour and would like to hang out with them but strangely I feel scared to text first in case I`m annoying them or something. It feels kind of weird though when they all live together and you as one person have to invite them as a group sort of thing. I just think that they have their own lives and social circles so its best to wait for them to contact me yet at the same time I just want to hang out with them.
    Should I contact and how should I approach it as I don`t want to feel like I`m asking them if I can tag along with them to something even though that`s kind of what I`m doing?
    You never know how they truely feel about you unless you talk to them. They’ve invited you to their house so that’s a good sign. I say you should get over your fears and speak to them. It might turn out to be better than expected
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by ireee)
    You never know how they truely feel about you unless you talk to them. They’ve invited you to their house so that’s a good sign. I say you should get over your fears and speak to them. It might turn out to be better than expected
    Thanks for the advice, just an update. I did text them to see if they wanted to do something and they`ve invited me out with them on the weekend. Although part of me is worried it feels like I`ve invited myself along or am I just overthinking things? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for the advice, just an update. I did text them to see if they wanted to do something and they`ve invited me out with them on the weekend. Although part of me is worried it feels like I`ve invited myself along or am I just overthinking things? :laugh:
    You’re probably overthinking things. I do it all the time 😅
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Texting is over rated, use carrier pigeon. Your friends are much more likely to accept your invitation if you do this.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.