Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted two assignments so far - getting a 53 in the first one and a 57 in the second. This means that I have been graded a 2:2 in both of my first assignments and although I have been told that this is fine for first year I'm not so sure...

I really wanted to be coming out with at least a 2:1 but with two essays and two presentations left, it doesn't seem likely...

I am trying to follow the assignment guidance and feedback as well as I can but as I only got 4 more points in my second assignment, I don't feel like I am progressing enough D:

Is anyone else feeling the same or having/had a similar experience with their first year grades?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It is very common - the important thing is that you can see a positive trajectory. If you can add 4 points again for your next essay you will already be in the bracket you want and I see no reason you can't finish the year with a 2:1 as long as you continue improving, even slowly.

ReputationRep:
    It’s perfectly fine. I’ve taken a big break from education and have returned with a first, 2:2 and third in my first year so far in my coursework, first years a learning curve! Use your feedback and focus on how to improve ans you’ll get there!

ReputationRep:
    It depends really.

If you've absolutely put in your best effort and worked your arse off and gotten those grades then it's worrying. The step up from first to second year is like GCSE to A Levels. Then the third year is harder still, made harder by Job searching possibly.

If you've not really done that and sort of casually done your essays then it's fine, less effort = lower grades but since it "doesn't count" it's okay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I often find first year is your opportunity to get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    First year doesn’t count towards your final grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    It depends really.

If you've absolutely put in your best effort and worked your arse off and gotten those grades then it's worrying. The step up from first to second year is like GCSE to A Levels. Then the third year is harder still, made harder by Job searching possibly.

If you've not really done that and sort of casually done your essays then it's fine, less effort = lower grades but since it "doesn't count" it's okay.
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    I often find first year is your opportunity to get it wrong.
    I know it 'doesn't count' but it still costs a lot and it's still a year of my life... if I'm not getting higher grades this year then it's not a good indication that I will next year is it..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyLisaa)
    I have submitted two assignments so far - getting a 53 in the first one and a 57 in the second. This means that I have been graded a 2:2 in both of my first assignments and although I have been told that this is fine for first year I'm not so sure...

I really wanted to be coming out with at least a 2:1 but with two essays and two presentations left, it doesn't seem likely...

I am trying to follow the assignment guidance and feedback as well as I can but as I only got 4 more points in my second assignment, I don't feel like I am progressing enough D:

Is anyone else feeling the same or having/had a similar experience with their first year grades?
    I know someone who got thirds first and second years but managed to finish with a first. So just work on it and you'll get there

ReputationRep:
    If it's your first time at university it's fairly normal to struggle in the first year. Just make sure you're paying attention to WHY you're getting those lower marks, and make sure you work on those problems specifically. I did much better in my third year than I did in my second, and much better in my second than I did in my first - it's all in the practise.

ReputationRep:
    My personal tutor tells me it's normal and looks good to progress upwards as you go through university.

I got a 2:2 in first year, averaged 65 in second year, and now in third year I'm getting high 2:1s and firsts.

ReputationRep:
    I know it 'doesn't count' but it still costs a lot and it's still a year of my life... if I'm not getting higher grades this year then it's not a good indication that I will next year is it..?

That's not what I said lmao. Read again, for your sake I hope you aren't doing English.

I said if you have worked your arse off and come out with a 2.2 then it doesn't bode well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    That's not what I said lmao. Read again, for your sake I hope you aren't doing English.

I said if you have worked your arse off and come out with a 2.2 then it doesn't bode well.
    I know but I thought I was working hard... I guess I could do more drafts

ReputationRep:
    hmm

depends how hard you worked

my first year was a joke. i had gcse-style exams lel

finished some exams within like 30 mins when the time allowed was 2.5 hours

mcqs, fill in the blanks lol! what a joke

maybe yours could be the same and you could end up with >60% overall for the year

ReputationRep:
    I know but I thought I was working hard... I guess I could do more drafts
    Look at where you went wrong. I bet in your essay you've been more descriptive instead of analytical. School essays are so descriptive it's jarring carrying that forward to Uni. Ask for feedback, and also attend the essay writing services for your Uni. They will help massively.

ReputationRep:

Don't worry when I was in first year I had essays that were graded 2:2 and below, but by my last year I had improved a lot and graduated with a first
    just make sure you take on board all the feedback and prepare in advance so that you have time to revise your essays a couple of times

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.