Turn on thread page Beta

Was Corbyn a communist spy during 1980s? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A story has come out reporting that a former Czech intelligence officer has purported to reveal that in the 1980s, Jeremy Corbyn was one of his "sources" along with about a dozen other Labour figures including George Galloway and Ken Livingstone (colour me shocked :lol: )

Documents have been produced showing that he was a source of information, but not an "asset" per se; he would meet with this Czech intelligence officer to discuss foreign policy and defence issues;

The documents that have been published are hardly shocking. Corbyn is described in them as being "negative towards the USA, as well as the present policies of the Conservative Government." He took a "positive" view of the eastern bloc and viewed favorably a Soviet-backed peace initiative.
    I think those on this forum who know my views know how much I abhor Corbyn. Having said that, I don't think these allegations are particularly damning and I do believe they're true. I just don't think having occasional discussions with foreign intelligence officers is completely outside the realms of acceptable conduct.

Many politicians on both sides of politics regularly speak to "US embassy officials" (i.e. intelligence officers of the Central Intelligence Agency) and discuss general political issues, they give their insight into British politics and policies. They are not providing secret intelligence to these foreign officers, merely their opinion on a wide range of matters. When the Manning diplomatic cables were released, it was revealed that this sort-of thing was happening on both sides of Australian politics and that these politicians were generally aware that the people they were speaking to were intelligence officers. The practice is very much the same here, and in fact our intelligence officers in foreign capitals do precisely the same thing. It is at the rather more overt end of the spectrum of intelligence gathering.

It's not surprising that instead of speaking to US embassy officials or American intelligence officers, Corbyn would undertake that practice on the opposite side of the coin. I don't think it's to Corbyn's credit that he was so sanguine about the Soviet Union, but ultimately these allegations amount to very little even if true.

Far too many other damning things have come out about Corbyn (such as his accepting up to £20,000 from the government of Iran, as payment to appear as a host on their TV propaganda arm, his praising of Hamas as "dedicated to peace and social justice", his relationship with Steven Sizer) for me to get worked up about this.

If someone was carrying on that sort of relationship with a Russian intelligence officer now, in this climate, that would be a different thing. But 30 years ago, with no secret information being revealed... it's a big meh.

Whatcha think?

ReputationRep:
    He has tacitly (and not so tacitly) supported direct enemies of the state, including Argentina during the Falklands war and the IRA during the Troubles, and consistently supports ideologies and policies that would undermine and weaken Britain and the West as a whole. So yep, I could 100% believe that he was also a Soviet spy. It's just the kind of disloyal and duplicitous thing he would do.

ReputationRep:
    This misses the context. We're looking back on it from today's point of view where Russia is a bit of a joke and the Czech Republic is somewhere you go for drunken weekends.

Back then the USSR was our actual deadly enemy. They had enormous armies and stocks of nuclear weapons pointed at us. They conducted proxy wars against us. The closest analogue today would be Iran, North Korea or Islamic State. So imagine, if you like that a British MP were working for any of those states or groups.

He's a traitor no doubt. They all are.

ReputationRep:
    he certainly wasn't spying for the Americans.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Spying implies he was privvy to some interesting information - much like the Chapman 'spy ring' back in 2013 were called spies yet you could likely have found out more intel by a quick google search than what they had access to.
    At any rate whats wrong with having a chin wag with a sleuth? He might have given corbyn some interesting gossip...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    This misses the context. We're looking back on it from today's point of view where Russia is a bit of a joke and the Czech Republic is somewhere you go for drunken weekends.

Back then the USSR was our actual deadly enemy. They had enormous armies and stocks of nuclear weapons pointed at us. They conducted proxy wars against us. The closest analogue today would be Iran, North Korea or Islamic State. So imagine, if you like that a British MP were working for any of those states or groups.

He's a traitor no doubt. They all are.
    Against America maybe, Britain was more of a quaint little side show in the military context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Against America maybe, Britain was more of a quaint little side show in the military context.
    Nevertheless, they were our enemies. One could say that individually, any NATO member wasn't very important to the USSR.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Nevertheless, they were our enemies. One could say that individually, any NATO member wasn't very important to the USSR.
    Personally i'd say enemy is an overly strong term for the relationship after Stalin had bitten the dust, although Brezhnev was a tosser as well, but either way i'll agree with your last point - although i should note that Czechoslovakia wasnt part of the USSR.

ReputationRep:
    The british establishment did the same thing to Harold Wilson in the seventies. Wilson was made PM. He was constantly bugged by our security services. The top brass at our MI6, Army, Navy, RAF, etc, are all from families of the landed gentry. The knights of the garter etc. 0.3% of the population of the UK own over two thirds of UK land, and they are subsidised through things like the Common Agricultural policy, to the tune of £3billion per year. All coming from the poorest taxpayers. That money does not go to real farmers, it goes to the landed gentry and some corporations. You have to remember all that land was stolen by their ancestors from the common man. Yes, going back to the norman conquest, but mainly through successive enclosures acts of the 16thC onwards. Entire villages of our ancestors were evicted, starved and murdered. Pushed off the land. They had no legal reason for doing so, apart from calling themselves 'custodians' of the land. The fear at the time was that Wilson would introduce a land value tax, just taxing land which was unproductive. Which would make 95% of us better off. It could easily replace all our council taxes for instance. So, this group, led by Mountbatten, and the house of Lords, the knights of the garter etc. Decided to remove Wilson, and fake evidence of him being a 'red spy' if he tried to make Britain a fairer place for all. [A land value tax has been supported by people like Orwell, Churhcill, Friedman, Tolstoy etc etc.] Wilsons secretary in her memoirs recalled that the army actually took over Heathrow airport, without telling anyone. Not the PM. And called it an exercise. It was in fact a direct threat to Wilson. They were sending him a message. Wake up people. We do not live in a democracy, rather a thinly veiled feudal society, ruled by the aristocracy. The landed gentry. We need a revolution. Self rule post brexit should mean the introduction of a land value tax, so the toffs have to sell their completely unproductive land, which would solve the housing crisis, and many other problems relating to poverty and misery for all of us...

By the way, as an experiment, to test our 'free press' I have attempted to post this comment under just about every newspaper going this morning. The Telegraph, Independent, Scotsman, six or seven others, and it was immediately removed from all of them.

Even though it is historically accurate and well documented. Thats the state of free speech in our society. You cant trust the mainstream media, or the fringes, theres no-one you can trust any more.

I despair.

ReputationRep:
    I :heart: corbyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I :heart: corbyn
    That must be because you don't know him, beyond the front.

ReputationRep:
    The question is why has it taken so long for this info to be publicised?

Is it possible that it is a decoy and Corbyn wasn't a spy but instead a communist plant in Labour?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.