The Student Room Group

Is fine art at uni even worth it? (Please read)

All of my family are trying to push me to do sociology at Surrey but my dream would be to study fine art at Goldsmiths.
Is there any point of doing an art degree, would my degree be useless in the world of work? Many people discourage me from doing it but I don’t know I should give up on art and take a mainstream subject instead.

Art has always been a passion of mine, I like sociology too but not to the same extent. I’ve been predicted an a* for art but a B for sociology if that helps (A-level)
Feel free to ask for more info if you want :smile:
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what are you planning after university
Reply 2
Original post by Miaowth
what are you planning after university

My parents want me to take further training to be a HR.

I don’t know what I want to do, possibly look for employment in whatever I study.
Reply 3
Original post by Andoga
My parents want me to take further training to be a HR.

I don’t know what I want to do, possibly look for employment in whatever I study.

make sure you do what you want, not what your parents want. Do you have an impartial careers advisor at school?
Worth it in terms of what? Employment? If thats your main concern I would recommend against both fine art and sociology but I assume it isn't so study whatever you like.
Reply 5
Original post by Miaowth
make sure you do what you want, not what your parents want. Do you have an impartial careers advisor at school?

Yes but they’ve not been much help, they’re also discouraging me from going with art since I won’t find a good job from it
Reply 6
Original post by rickyrossman
Worth it in terms of what? Employment? If thats your main concern I would recommend against both fine art and sociology but I assume it isn't so study whatever you like.

Why would you recommend against them? Just curious
Reply 7
There are careers after a fine art degree both as a degree for graduate jobs and in the field of art such as a teacher, artist obviously and art administration such as in a gallery, local authority or museum.

But it is going to be hard to get a good job with an fine arts degree because most people think its just 3 years of messing about with paint and drawing naked people.

My wife did a degree in fine art but never worked in the arts, she worked in shops and in engineering.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
what about something like graphics - still artistic but is considered to have more "practical skills"
Original post by Andoga
Why would you recommend against them? Just curious

Because they don't lead to a direct job. Graduate schemes have wayy too many applicants to places ratio. You're likely to deal with unemployment problems after graduating. I would recommend engineering, medicine, dentistry, nursing, computer science, allied health or accounting.
Then go for it! At least you know you’ll have no regrets, my mum has a degree in fine art and she’s an O.T (occupational therapist) she didn’t do any science A levels or phycolagy, so I guess you still can do some things with experience and training, however I know how that specific degrees are more common now so I might be wrong :smile:
I agree to study something you would enjoy, it's a decent chunk of time to spend studying something you don't like and would rather be doing something else
Reply 12
Original post by rickyrossman
Because they don't lead to a direct job. Graduate schemes have wayy too many applicants to places ratio. You're likely to deal with unemployment problems after graduating. I would recommend engineering, medicine, dentistry, nursing, computer science, allied health or accounting.

Funnily enough science was my worst subject so I’m pretty screwed in that department 😂
Reply 13
Original post by Miaowth
what about something like graphics - still artistic but is considered to have more "practical skills"

I was also thinking that, just not sure if I’d suit it. I’d have to talk to my art teacher about possibilities of graphic design since she’s worked in the field before becoming a teacher. If it helps, I’m planning on doing an art foundation course after a-levels
Reply 14
Original post by Angel287
Then go for it! At least you know you’ll have no regrets, my mum has a degree in fine art and she’s an O.T (occupational therapist) she didn’t do any science A levels or phycolagy, so I guess you still can do some things with experience and training, however I know how that specific degrees are more common now so I might be wrong :smile:

I guess I’m just scared of going against my family since most of them are really academic and shun the arts :/
Original post by Andoga
I was also thinking that, just not sure if I’d suit it. I’d have to talk to my art teacher about possibilities of graphic design since she’s worked in the field before becoming a teacher. If it helps, I’m planning on doing an art foundation course after a-levels

I'd definitely say do an art foundation as you'll get exposed to so much more in terms of techniques/materials/styles than you do in A-Level Art, so you might end up discovering that you'd rather pursue another (and perhaps more 'practical'/job-securing) creative discipline at uni.
Reply 16
Original post by Amanzhol
I'd definitely say do an art foundation as you'll get exposed to so much more in terms of techniques/materials/styles than you do in A-Level Art, so you might end up discovering that you'd rather pursue another (and perhaps more 'practical'/job-securing) creative discipline at uni.

Yup, that’s the plan for now. I wouldn’t physically be able to afford to live at uni straight after a levels anyways so I wanted to use the art foundation almost as financial preparation so I don’t live off noodles lol
Original post by Andoga
Yup, that’s the plan for now. I wouldn’t physically be able to afford to live at uni straight after a levels anyways so I wanted to use the art foundation almost as financial preparation so I don’t live off noodles lol

art Foundation is a great idea, and if it turns out it's not for you , there's still the option of doing sociology. It'd be a good way to pitch doing art to your parents.
Yeah that is hard when your family have high expectations, just remember if you’re the one mainly paying for your tuition fees and accommodation etc you’re obviously going to be in debt so you need to choose something that will be worth the debt. Just bare in mind the career competitiveness in art
Do what you love and the money will come. There's truth in that. Do your parents know any artists? What are they basing their ideas on? There can be this sense from parents that artists or writers or musicians are somehow

Quick Reply

Latest