The Student Room Group

You’re not gonna become become a doctor

I’m in year 12 and I’ve pulled myself together and achieved higher grades.

After one of my exams, I approached my teacher to talk about my grades and do Better in my exams, this ended up me talking about how about I wanted to do medicine.

He told me can I be honest with you. I said yes, he said you’re not gonna become a doctor”

My heart fell into my stomach. My smile slipped off my face. I was shell shocked.

He said I didn’t have straight A’s so there’s no chance of medical school taking me because there’s so many applicants and I don’t even h ace the GCSE’s.

So I asked even with me getting A*A*A and a foreign language that I will get an A in, a EPQ, exprience in hospital, resitting my 2of my gcse to achieve A (eng Lang and maths) so overall GCSE would be A* 3A and 6B 1C,

High UKCAT & BMAT score.

He said I still have no chance because they don’t accept resits etc.

I researched after being heartbroken and it seems Cambridge aren’t that bothered so are some unis so please someone clarify this for me. I’m confused.. and lost and extremely upset.

Scroll to see replies

yeh that's true that they don't accept resits

have you thought of a post grad entry or studying abroad
Original post by Ray_Shadows
yeh that's true that they don't accept resits

have you thought of a post grad entry or studying abroad

Yeah but I’m just resitting 2 of my GCSE’s so even I get perfect score for every other requirement with much exprience and extra stuff I won’t be accepted???
Original post by TUGBA_AYDIN1

After one of my exams, I approached my teacher to talk about my grades and do Better in my exams, this ended up me talking about how about I wanted to do medicine.

He told me can I be honest with you. I said yes, he said you’re not gonna become a doctor”

My heart fell into my stomach. My smile slipped off my face. I was shell shocked.

He said I didn’t have straight A’s so there’s no chance of medical school taking me because there’s so many applicants and I don’t even h ace the GCSE’s.

So I asked even with me getting A*A*A and a foreign language that I will get an A in, a EPQ, exprience in hospital, resitting my 2of my gcse to achieve A (eng Lang and maths) so overall GCSE would be A* 3A and 6B 1C,

High UKCAT & BMAT score.

I researched after being heartbroken and it seems Cambridge aren’t that bothered so are some unis so please someone clarify this for me. I’m confused.. and lost and extremely upset.

Did you resit your GCSEs? Tbh as long as you have an A/7 or B/6, with a strong UKCAT and PS, you can tip the odds in your favour
Your teacher is insecure. There are many medical schools that don't give a flying monkey about your GCSEs; e.g. Imperial. Watch confessions of a junior doctor. The chubbier girl (forgot her name) said her teacher said to her that she will never be a doctor.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Did you resit your GCSEs? Tbh as long as you have an A/7 or B/6, with a strong UKCAT and PS, you can tip the odds in your favour

I’m going to Resit them in June but I will get A in both, during those exams my cousin passed away so I codling concentrate because I couldn’t even go to her funeral so I know I can do well.

I can still do medicine right ?
Dunno about your case in particular, but teachers can be wrong. I remember a friend of mine at school was really angry when a teacher very rudely told him not to apply for medicine because he wouldn't get an offer. He's a doctor now.
Yeah but I’m just resitting 2 of my GCSE’s so even I get perfect score for every other requirement with much exprience and extra stuff I won’t be accepted???

idk this is all coming from this site , i would forget about it now and focus on ur AS grades

oh and just ignore your teacher he/she is probably just butthurt because they have to resort to teachings instead of becoming doctors or dentist :smile:
Reply 8
Yes, e.g. Plymouth just want 7A*-C and that's it, they don't rank your GCSEs.
I’m going to Resit them in June but I will get A in both, during those exams my cousin passed away so I codling concentrate because I couldn’t even go to her funeral so I know I can do well.

I can still do medicine right ?

What were your GCSEs without resits. Break them down by subject for me please
Reply 10
He should have said you are unlikely to become a doctor, the competition is strong and your GCSEs are very modest for medicine applicants but that does not mean you have no chance. But you have to be realistic.
I applied to medicine this year (UK student) with absolutely no GCSEs at all because i was living in australia at the time. I have two offers (!!!) and did heaps of research on the unis that don't care about your GCSEs. From the top of my head Newcastle, Edinburgh, Oxbridge don't care about the grades of your GCSEs so it won't affect the chances of you getting an interview. :smile:
What were your GCSEs without resits. Break them down by subject for me please

Eng Lang -4
Eng lit -6
Maths- 5
Core science-B
Additional science -B
R.E- B
Georgraphy- C
Media- B
Art- A
French- C
Turkish- A*
Original post by Gracemcnamara
I applied to medicine this year (UK student) with absolutely no GCSEs at all because i was living in australia at the time. I have two offers (!!!) and did heaps of research on the unis that don't care about your GCSEs. From the top of my head Newcastle, Edinburgh, Oxbridge don't care about the grades of your GCSEs so it won't affect the chances of you getting an interview. :smile:

That gives me hope, it looks I will be applying to Cambridge because I’ve researched on them and they have little care for GCSES as long as everything else high achieved
Original post by Gracemcnamara

Just want to jump in, Edinburgh and Oxford definitely grade you on your GCSEs but there are definitely plenty of others which don't! Teachers are quite often wrong and I wouldn't worry too much about it
Eng Lang -4
Eng lit -6
Maths- 5
Core science-B
Additional science -B
R.E- B
Georgraphy- C
Media- B
Art- A
French- C
Turkish- A*

If you resit now and send an extenuating circumstances document to your unis, they should accept your resits.

Also, im not sure whether Cambridge allows 4 to be a C. It varies by uni, some say 5, but you can check this yourself.

Imperial doesn't consider GCSE grades. Newcastle would consider you on your UKCAT. So you definitely have some options

High UKCAT & BMAT score.

Your teacher is wrong about resits. Depending on how I felt I might even make a complaint r take it up with them. The advice is wrong and its lowering your expectations as a result.

What they could have meant is they dont believe you are going to get A* in your subject.

Just apply to the schools which focus less on GCSE and more on other sections of your application.

Your teacher doesnt know what they are talking about. Schools are much more stringent when it comes to A levels and resits.

Either argue back or dont, but either way mve on an focus on getting the best grades for you.
If you resit now and send an extenuating circumstances document to your unis, they should accept your resits.

Also, im not sure whether Cambridge allows 4 to be a C. It varies by uni, some say 5, but you can check this yourself.

Imperial doesn't consider GCSE grades. Newcastle would consider you on your UKCAT. So you definitely have some options

That’s why I’m resitting, I’m going to include my circumstances in the UCAS application I do :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
Your teacher is wrong about resits. Depending on how I felt I might even make a complaint r take it up with them. The advice is wrong and its lowering your expectations as a result.

What they could have meant is they dont believe you are going to get A* in your subject.

Just apply to the schools which focus less on GCSE and more on other sections of your application.

Your teacher doesnt know what they are talking about. Schools are much more stringent when it comes to A levels and resits.

Either argue back or dont, but either way mve on an focus on getting the best grades for you.

I feel that they look down on me because I got U at first, I’m just going it ignore them and work hard and show them.
That’s why I’m resitting, I’m going to include my circumstances in the UCAS application I do :smile:

The resit issue is A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest