The Student Room Group

Health and social care careers

So I’m currently planning on going to my local college to do the level 3 extended BTEC health and social care course and I’m wondering what careers I can go into without going to university? (I also get hundreds of hours placements, so I’ll have loads of work experience)
Original post by Angel287
So I’m currently planning on going to my local college to do the level 3 extended BTEC health and social care course and I’m wondering what careers I can go into without going to university? (I also get hundreds of hours placements, so I’ll have loads of work experience)

Midwifery, nursing, psychiatrists, physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, care worker, counsellor, personal trainer, social worker, youth worker, Adult nurse, Mental health nurse to name a few careers.

All the best OP! 😁
Reply 2
Thankyou :smile: I did look into a lot of these but nearly all of them require university right? Im looking for a job in health and social care I can do without a degree that I’d do for a couple years before heading off for a degree to cover some of the Tuition fees :smile:
you can be a Healthcare Assistant or a Nursing Associate, or a care support worker (there are a lot of similar roles that involve caring for people with various healthcare needs in hospitals, at home and in nursing homes). You can get a training role as a HCA just with level 2 English and Maths qualifications, so you could apply for these jobs without having a BTEC. Having experience in a caring role already will help you.
Reply 4
Ok thankyou, would I be able to do maternity assistanting?
Reply 5
Ok thankyou for clearing that up :smile:
Why don't you want to go to university OP?
Reply 7
Original post by moonkatt
Why don't you want to go to university OP?

I do, I’m planning on it I’m just curios as to what I can do if I don’t get the requirements or I suddenly can’t go :smile:

Quick Reply