The Student Room Group

How to ask a potential employer if you got the job via email?

I applied for the position of Staff Assistant of this Summer School in December, although the deadline was the 5th of January. I emailed a couple of times with one of the application staff, who was lovely and quickly acknowledged my application. He said that a decision would be made in Late January / Early January, but I still haven't heard anything back yet.

Normally, I would just be patient and wait it out. However, I need to know if I have got the job pretty immediately in this case, because if I don't get it, I want to apply for the ultra-competitive volunteering program which takes place at the same time. I need to apply for this volunteering program soon to even have the slightest chance of getting a place- they might have already run out! What should I do?

I want to send a message to the application staff that I previously emailed, asking if they have made a decision yet. However, I don't want to sound pushy or put them off giving me the job. Any ideas?
Original post by SophieRoe
I applied for the position of Staff Assistant of this Summer School in December, although the deadline was the 5th of January. I emailed a couple of times with one of the application staff, who was lovely and quickly acknowledged my application. He said that a decision would be made in Late January / Early January, but I still haven't heard anything back yet.

Normally, I would just be patient and wait it out. However, I need to know if I have got the job pretty immediately in this case, because if I don't get it, I want to apply for the ultra-competitive volunteering program which takes place at the same time. I need to apply for this volunteering program soon to even have the slightest chance of getting a place- they might have already run out! What should I do?

I want to send a message to the application staff that I previously emailed, asking if they have made a decision yet. However, I don't want to sound pushy or put them off giving me the job. Any ideas?

Apply anyway.

Send them an e-mailor phone and just tell them when you applied , what for , the fact they said jan and you still havent heard anything. Id assume its a no, although they could just not have gotten round t it. get it sorted and in your head dont be surprised if its a no.
Original post by 999tigger
Apply anyway.

Send them an e-mailor phone and just tell them when you applied , what for , the fact they said jan and you still havent heard anything. Id assume its a no, although they could just not have gotten round t it. get it sorted and in your head dont be surprised if its a no.

I agree
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Apply anyway.

Original post by Emma:-)
I agree

How should I craft the email though? I don't want to sound desperate, pushy or rude...
You're allowing your anxiety to cloud your judgement. Simultaneous applications are fairly commonplace. Just apply for the volunteering role.
Given the length of time, you've almost certainly not gotten the job I'm afraid (I suspect you probably knew that already). Most employers don't want to hang around for too long, and they won't want to keep somebody waiting if they're expecting them to offer the job - particularly because a good candidate is probably going to be offered another job elsewhere pretty quickly if they don't hurry up.

So, would almost certainly have gotten back to you much sooner if they'd wanted to hire you, but you should still contact them regardless to ask for feedback in case they can offer you any suggestions on how you could improve your chances at getting a job in the future - sometimes you won't get much, but many interviewers are quite helpful.

Also, don't leave it so long next time, employers usually expect to give feedback around about the time they're sending out the offer - but they often won't contact everybody or even anybody who isn't going to be offered the job - it's not worth their time, especially not if they'd interviewed dozens of people. The longer you leave it, the more likely they'll have forgotten all about you and won't be able to offer much useful insight, or they'll just fob you off with some generic reply like "thanks for your interest in joining us, unfortunately we had a lot of great candidates and we've found somebody with more relevant experience", in which case you'll learn nothing about your interview technique or CV.

You really don't need to send a long message, and e-mails are much less formal than written letters. Something short and to-the-point is more than enough. Showing some appreciation for the employer and their time may also make them feel more willing help you out and certainly doesn't hurt :smile:

Hi <Name of recruiter>

I applied for the position of Staff Assistant back in December, and would like to know whether you can offer any feedback? I had been very keen on working at <Name of Organisation>, and greatly appreciate the time you've taken to look at my application.

Best Regards,

<Your Name>
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
They emailed yesterday and I actually got the job :smile: But thanks for all your advice.
Original post by SophieRoe
They emailed yesterday and I actually got the job :smile: But thanks for all your advice.

Well certainly glad to hear we were all wrong! Congratulations :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending