Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I booked an appointment with my GP about my mental health watch

Announcements

(Original post by rubyledger)
    Also don’t have any expectations like “ my gp is going to confirm I’m depressed, I’ll get prescribed antidepressants “ it proabaly won’t happen, gp are not specially trained in physcology so you will have to wait until you are referred to a professional
    Thank you. So even though i'm 17, if i'm referred to camhs my parents will be informed? I'll be honest, I'm seriously considering cancelling my appt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you. So even though i'm 17, if i'm referred to camhs my parents will be informed? I'll be honest, I'm seriously considering cancelling my appt
    I was 15 when I was referred, and my parents had to come with me to my first appointment, I also have counselling in school they had to consent for. When I first told the school how I was feeling I kept everything in because I knew if I said anything too bad that they would have to tell my parents. I really would advise you to not cancel your appointment,
    I didn’t want my parents to know either but it’s the only way I could get the help I needed. I’m not sure the confidentiality rules at 17. I’m pretty sure if you say that you self harm or that you’re going to kill yourself they have to tell your parents. I recommend going to the appointment and asking where you stand in terms of confidentiality/ look at camhs website. Then you can decide what you tell your parents, I know that unless you say you’re going to harm yourself or others your doctors are confidential, but I’m not sure in terms of camhs. All I know is that I had to get consent at 15. Please get help, if you think about it say your parents ( or friend if you’re not close with your parents ) was feeling the same, you’d want to know so that you could love and support them, surely?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I work part time in a doctor's surgery, and while I don't know if this is true for all practices, at mine, after you're 16, they aren't obliged to tell your parents any of your mental health problems or if you've been referred for further care without your consent.

However, it's worth noting that if you live with your parents, you'll get a letter about the referral or appointment in the post and the envelope may have NHS written on it, so be careful if your parents open your mail, Good luck with your appointment!

I had camhs

(Original post by itsokamix)
    I work part time in a doctor's surgery, and while I don't know if this is true for all practices, at mine, after you're 16, they aren't obliged to tell your parents any of your mental health problems or if you've been referred for further care without your consent.

However, it's worth noting that if you live with your parents, you'll get a letter about the referral or appointment in the post and the envelope may have NHS written on it, so be careful if your parents open your mail, Good luck with your appointment!
    Yeah I thought about this. I’m doing research currently and will call up Camhs tomorrow hopefully

I’m absolutely terrified of my parents being involved. Last year I told my parents that I was feeling depressed due to constant trauma attacks of something that happened to me when I was younger and they told me that I was making excuses for my deterring grades + that I was an attention seeker + lazy + threatened me quite heavily. I know my parents do love me and want the best but they don’t understand mental health. It’s just how it is with some of us cultured/religious people.

(Original post by rubyledger)
    I was 15 when I was referred, and my parents had to come with me to my first appointment, I also have counselling in school they had to consent for. When I first told the school how I was feeling I kept everything in because I knew if I said anything too bad that they would have to tell my parents. I really would advise you to not cancel your appointment,
    I didn’t want my parents to know either but it’s the only way I could get the help I needed. I’m not sure the confidentiality rules at 17. I’m pretty sure if you say that you self harm or that you’re going to kill yourself they have to tell your parents. I recommend going to the appointment and asking where you stand in terms of confidentiality/ look at camhs website. Then you can decide what you tell your parents, I know that unless you say you’re going to harm yourself or others your doctors are confidential, but I’m not sure in terms of camhs. All I know is that I had to get consent at 15. Please get help, if you think about it say your parents ( or friend if you’re not close with your parents ) was feeling the same, you’d want to know so that you could love and support them, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have anywhere else the mail could be addressed to maybe? Like a friend or a relative? Maybe you could ask your GP about it and have it as a temporary address so that way your parents won't know about it

I understand what you mean when you say your parents think mental health is an excuse and it's a horrible feeling, hopefully in the future you'll be able to tell them and not feel like they won't judge you for it~
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Past 16 you have adult confidentiality. Even if you are sent to CAMHS you can do all the paperwork etc by yourself. They literally can't tell your parents anything without your permission. (I have a link that explains that stuff which I'll try to add in later)
    As far as things like letters go it is illegal for your parents to open you mail without your permission, but let's face it in a family things are a bit different and a drs letter is pretty obvious even if you don't open it. But things are getting ever more tech based and there's a fair chance you can ask for anything to be sent by text/ email or to a temp address/ you collect it. Always worth asking.

Found those links I mentioned:
    https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/speakin...es-health.aspx
    http://www.westlondoncamhs.nhs.uk/pa...nfidentiality/

And for the record, when I went to CAMHS at 17 they never tried to involve my parents. Only reason they knew I was going is cos I told them.

Thank you to all of your helpful replies but i have cancelled the appointment and have no intention right now to book another.

Hopefully i get throught this

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that you cancelled your appointment. feel free to let us know any doubts or reasons why you cancelled and we might be able to help you out. I thought I just clarify some facts for you too:

- You have full confidentiality at age 16, from 16 onwards your parents can't ask to see your medical history and your doctor can't tell them about your health even if they ask your GP

- Your GP won't tell your parents about your mental health unless they believe you have intent to harm yourself or others (and because of the shortages of NHS beds, they usually only go further with this if you're immediate danger, e.g. if you literally tell your GP what you're going to do)

Take care

ReputationRep:
    They'll only disclose things about you to carers/parents/other authority if your health is at risk or someone else is at risk because of you or someone else. Given that you're over 16 you have a lot more autonomy than someone under 16 and your parents don't have to be involved (unless the above is an issue).

Also you may not get referred t CAMHS because of your age. They may forego it and refer directly to adult services depending on how close to your 18th birthday you are and honestly, its a ***** to get referred to secondary services (Adult or Child/adolescent) anyway, because of funding issues. Your GP can still help if they don't think a referral is appropriate.

When you go to your appointment make sure you tell them all the issues, write it down before hand in case you're unable to verbalise things. Take support with you (e.g. a friend). You can do this.

Take care.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.