Turn on thread page Beta

Career Development Loan for a second postgrad degree? Is it possible? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, i'm currently a part time Legal Practice Course (LPC) LLM student. This course is funded by a combination of a postgraduate loan (£10k) from SF and the rest is from my own pocket. Because LPC is very practical, i would like to obtain a masters degree (LLM) in law, too, before qualifying as a solicitor. It would be party to enhance my CV but, to be frank, mostly for personal satisfaction and out of interest in the subject. Obviously i cannot use another SF Loan but i was thinking of a Career Development Loan with Coop or Barclays. Does anyone know if i can such a loan for that? I am aware that technically it would be a qualification of the same level but, equally, in the CDL eligibility criteria i have not seen a restriction that you cannot already hold a masters degree (which, for instance, is a requirement, for the SF postgrad loan). I would be grateful for any insight.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 7Anita7)
    Hello, i'm currently a part time Legal Practice Course (LPC) LLM student. This course is funded by a combination of a postgraduate loan (£10k) from SF and the rest is from my own pocket. Because LPC is very practical, i would like to obtain a masters degree (LLM) in law, too, before qualifying as a solicitor. It would be party to enhance my CV but, to be frank, mostly for personal satisfaction and out of interest in the subject. Obviously i cannot use another SF Loan but i was thinking of a Career Development Loan with Coop or Barclays. Does anyone know if i can such a loan for that? I am aware that technically it would be a qualification of the same level but, equally, in the CDL eligibility criteria i have not seen a restriction that you cannot already hold a masters degree (which, for instance, is a requirement, for the SF postgrad loan). I would be grateful for any insight.
    Yes I believe so.

Do you already have a TC?

There is a fair bit of scepticism about the use of an LLM, but your choice and debt.

Only the Co Op have CDL now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thank you for the reply. I am well aware of the scepticism (after all I’m co funding the LPC already) but i get invited to TC interviews recently so I think I will get something sooner or later. Having worked in practice for a few years, I am not that desperate to qualify asap, I’d rather do the LLM first, which is something I have always wanted to do.

if anyone else has come across a use I’d CDL for a second postgrad please let me know.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Yes I believe so.

Do you already have a TC?

There is a fair bit of scepticism about the use of an LLM, but your choice and debt.

Only the Co Op have CDL now.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 7Anita7)
    Hi, thank you for the reply. I am well of the scepticism (after all I’m co funding the LPC already) but i get invited to TC interviews recently so I think I will get something sooner or later. Having worked in practice for a few years, I am not that desperate to qualify asap, I rather do LLM first, which is something I have always wanted to do.

if anyone else has come across a use I’d CDL for a second postgrad please let me know.
    Just contact them or read the terms and conditions. I checked for you and my interpretation is a no. CDLs are rarely covered here any more as they have become almost redundant.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.