Turn on thread page Beta

Getting codeine over the counter watch

ReputationRep:
    Would a parmarcy give me codeine for dental pain?

I have a cracked wisdom tooth that’s mostly painful at night.

It might be a while till I get it removed, in the mean time I wonder if I might be able to get codeine.

ReputationRep:
    Percocets, molly percocets.

In all seriousness probably won't get full codeine over the counter, probably get it mixed with paracetamol or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Percocets, molly percocets.

In all seriousness probably won't get full codeine over the counter, probably get it mixed with paracetamol or something.
    Oh cocodamol?

Had that in the past and I found it useless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Oh cocodamol?

Had that in the past and I found it useless
    Extra strength cocodamol will have more codeine in it and they work like a charm but that you would need a prescription for that.

Or you can be imaginative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    Extra strength cocodamol will have more codeine in it and they work like a charm but that you would need a prescription for that.

Or you can be imaginative.
    Oh, what do you mean by imaginative? Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    lean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Oh, what do you mean by imaginative? Any tips?
    Just use Orajel. It is very effective and you don't need a prescription. I used it for my tooth ache a while ago, and it works.
    It is twice as effective and potent than tablets because it is applied directly to the tooth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Just use Orajel. It is very effective and you don't need a prescription. I used it for my tooth ache a while ago, and it works.
    It is twice as effective and potent than tablets because it is applied directly to the tooth.
    Oh there’s a time I had a very serious toothache and even orajel never worked. That was the worst pain I ever went through. It eventually got extracted, but suffered for around 2 months.

Fortunately this wisdom tooth is not as bad, it’s just worse at night because I seem to grind my teeth, but I think I should seek to get it removed, otherwise I don’t want to experience what I experienced 4 years ago. I had to have 4 courses antibiotics over 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Oh there’s a time I had a very serious toothache and even orajel never worked. That was the worst pain I ever went through. It eventually got extracted, but suffered for around 2 months.

Fortunately this wisdom tooth is not as bad, it’s just worse at night because I seem to grind my teeth, but I think I should seek to get it removed, otherwise I don’t want to experience what I experienced 4 years ago. I had to have 4 courses antibiotics over 2 months.
    Book an appointment with your dentist then. An extraction would be more likely in your case. And call to book an urgent appointment with your GP in the morning. Ask your GP for Naproxen and Omeprazole together for the pain and to reduce gastric toxicity. Naproxen would be very effective.

ReputationRep:
    Go to GP. Or get OTC ibuprofen-codeine, which has 12.8mg of codeine a pill (you can take two pills at a time). Compared to 8mg of codeine in co-codamol (you take two of these at a time). Of course, it is possible to take ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notoriety)
    Go to GP. Or get OTC ibuprofen-codeine, which has 12.8mg of codeine a pill (you can take two pills at a time). Compared to 8mg of codeine in co-codamol (you take two of these at a time). Of course, it is possible to take ibuprofen and paracetamol at the same time ...
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Would a parmarcy give me codeine for dental pain?

I have a cracked wisdom tooth that’s mostly painful at night.

It might be a while till I get it removed, in the mean time I wonder if I might be able to get codeine.
    You can get cocodamol or cocodafen (ibuprofen version) OTC, but you shouldn't be taking them for more than a couple of days.
    Wisdom tooth issues are often cause for a more urgent dental appointment so see what you can work out with your dentist or try calling any local NHS dentist to see if they can help. You can also call 111 if the pain gets really bad at night. They can get you in touch with an out of hours dentist if you need it.

Really what you need to do is sort out the wisdom tooth asap rather than make do with painkillers. Until then, pop into a pharmacy and tell them what's going on. They can sort out some painkillers for you and discuss different types with you if you've found some don't help much.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    You can get cocodamol or cocodafen (ibuprofen version) OTC, but you shouldn't be taking them for more than a couple of days.
    Wisdom tooth issues are often cause for a more urgent dental appointment so see what you can work out with your dentist or try calling any local NHS dentist to see if they can help. You can also call 111 if the pain gets really bad at night. They can get you in touch with an out of hours dentist if you need it.

Really what you need to do is sort out the wisdom tooth asap rather than make do with painkillers. Until then, pop into a pharmacy and tell them what's going on. They can sort out some painkillers for you and discuss different types with you if you've found some don't help much.
    Thank you. Ibuprofen seems to have worked well last night. I think it’s being caused by teeth grinding as it gets painful at night - I woke up last week when I was grinding my teeth.

I feel it’s now under control with the ibuprofen, but I know that dental problems can go from bad to excruciating, as I learnt four years ago.

Maybe I should go to dentist and preemptively get an extraction booked, even though it’s not yet severe.

That particular wisdom tooth got filled last year as it was cracked. I thought I might have cracked it by trying to open pistachio shells (which I don’t do anymore).

But I now realise it may have been through my grinding of teeth
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Thank you. Ibuprofen seems to have worked well last night.

I think it’s being caused by teeth grinding as it gets painful at night.

I feel it’s now under control, but I know that dental problems can go from bad to excruciating without warning, as I learnt four years ago.

Maybe I should go to dentist and preemptively get an extraction booked, even though it’s not yet severe.

That particular wisdom tooth got filled last year as it was cracked. I thought I might have cracked it by trying to open pistachio shells (which I don’t do anymore).

But I now realise it may have been through my grinding of teeth
    I'd say it's definitely worth booking something now before things get unmanageable. If ibuprofen worked last night try sticking with that now. You can always take it with paracetamol or cocodamol too if it's not enough by itself. That or you could take cocodafen and to up with plain paracetamol if you need to.

But yeah sort out an appointment ASAP. You don't want to be in pain longer than necessary.

oh and maybe see if you can get some advice on stopping grinding so much too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I'd say it's definitely worth booking something now before things get unmanageable. If ibuprofen worked last night try sticking with that now. You can always take it with paracetamol or cocodamol too if it's not enough by itself. That or you could take cocodafen and to up with plain paracetamol if you need to.

But yeah sort out an appointment ASAP. You don't want to be in pain longer than necessary.

oh and maybe see if you can get some advice on stopping grinding so much too.
    Thank you for your advice !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.