Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Underbite surgery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’m 15 almost 16 and a female. I have a really bad underbite which makes me self conscious so I’ve decided to have the surgery but I haven’t spoke to the hospital about it yet and I was wondering if anyone knew how long I’d have to stay in hospital after I’ve had it and what would my face look like after it also? Thanks in advance
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Welshgirl1238909)
    I’m 15 almost 16 and a female. I have a really bad underbite which makes me self conscious so I’ve decided to have the surgery but I haven’t spoke to the hospital about it yet and I was wondering if anyone knew how long I’d have to stay in hospital after I’ve had it and what would my face look like after it also? Thanks in advance
    Typically you'll be in hospital for a week or so, after that you'll just have outpatients appointments so they can readjust the bands periodically. Your face will likely be very swollen to start with, but it goes back to normal after a few days. Aside from that, your face will look basically the same, except you won't have an underbite any more of course.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much I just don’t know whether to have it done or not but Thankyou
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Thankyou so much I just don’t know whether to have it done or not but Thankyou
    Have a talk with the orthodontist about it at least, they'll be able to answer your questions more thoroughly so you'll have a better idea of what to expect. That way you can make a proper informed decision. It's worth it I think, hurts like absolute hell for a little while, but you'll manage I'm sure. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    most likely you're gonna have upper jaw surgery so your face is gonna change alot!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why not just get braces instead? They can fix an underbite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Why not just get braces instead? They can fix an underbite
    Braces work with teeth, and do little with jaws. They alone are not going to be helpful e.g. when one side of the jaw is longer than the other.

Braces are used alongside correction surgery.

There are official guides for patients considering orthognathic jaw surgery online.

Other users discuss surgery here, and there are videos on YouTube.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve spoken to my orthodontist now and they said if I have the surgery I won’t be able to have it for another 2/3 years, and they said in the mean time they can give me removable braces to fix it and if that don’t work they’re gonna do the surgery. It’s up to me now whether I want it done or not and I think I want it, just don’t know what to do, Thankyou all

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.