Turn on thread page Beta

Engineering Mathematics (BRISTOL) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied to this course, but from the videos ive seen online it looks like all of the work is done in a classroom rather than a lecture hall. Is that the case?

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by asquaredplus)
    I applied to this course, but from the videos ive seen online it looks like all of the work is done in a classroom rather than a lecture hall. Is that the case?
    There are a combination of lectures and seminars and tutorials.

Eg.
    https://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programm...Code=EMAT10008

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For any small course, such as Engineering Mathematics at Bristol presumably, you will end up with a lot of classes in classrooms or classroom sized lecture theatres as it would be inefficient to place you in a full sized lecture theatre.

Don't worry about it too much, it won't make much difference to how you're taught.

ReputationRep:
    I also applied for Engineering Mathematics at bristol and I am doing futher mathsHow much maths would I learn in the fist year if i have done futher maths? Do you learn more maths than other engineerings?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Scotttheone)
    I also applied for Engineering Mathematics at bristol and I am doing futher mathsHow much maths would I learn in the fist year if i have done futher maths? Do you learn more maths than other engineerings?
    It's a pretty unique and small course so it's unlikely you will find someone on TSR who can compare the content. It might be best to ask the department at Bristol. I'm sure they will welcome any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Scotttheone)
    Looking at the modules you do, the large majority would be new to you and you would only really find crossover in the Engineering Mathematics 1 module which is 20/120 credits for first year. You will also get some little crossovers at the beginning of the year in some modules, but this will occur in any degree subject as they're getting everyone up to the same speed.

You do an awful lot more maths than other engineering disciplines, most of the content would be described as parts of control engineering which is a highly mathematical discipline often applied elsewhere e.g. in economics, meteorology, sociology, etc. in order to try and model patterns and forecast trends though it also delves into more classically engineering related areas such as AI, robotics, signal processing, and a lot more stuff which wouldn't mean anything to you if I started talking about it but I assure you it's very important haha. I would say that Bristol's Engineering Mathematics course covers the more mathematical aspects of Control Engineering, which as said is already a very mathematical discipline, miles ahead of even EEE which would be the next most mathematical, so yes, lots of maths.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.