Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hi there. I do some volunteering with a youth group and obviously that involves respecting allergies, dietary needs and other "special requirements". Most things are pretty self explanatory, but I'm not confident I know fully what Halal entails and what it might relate to in a childcare setting (food or other activities). I'm aware most meat is off limits, but it's there anything potentially less obvious that I should be aware of?
    I tried googling, but honestly I'm not sure what I would be looking out for so it's probably best I just ask people who'd know better, even if it's just giving me an idea of the best place to check myself.

Thanks for any help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What sorts of things do you do with the group?

Really though the only thing that you should know is the food:

Halal meat only (so no meat if not clearly halal)
    The exception is fish/seafood - which is considered halal no matter what.

Watch out for some sweets - if they have gelatine in the ingredients, some parents won't be happy with this being consumed. Although I argue that matters such as this (and any other "trivial" Muslim obligation - which varies between different people) should be known by the child since it'll be something they've been taught of as fundamental. For that matter, so should the whole food thing but I guess you don't want to be offering anything they would deny.
    It does depend on the activities you're doing and the children's age group if you want some more specifics which might be worth being aware of for you - I'm thinking of silly things tbh but I know that some families take them seriously (no particular example in mind just generally).

Edit: reading op properly - are you doing childcare childcare. As in maybe 3-6 year old babysitting? Is that what it means?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by carpetguy)
    What sorts of things do you do with the group?

Really though the only thing that you should know is the food:

Halal meat only (so no meat if not clearly halal)
    The exception is fish/seafood - which is considered halal no matter what.

Watch out for some sweets - if they have gelatine in the ingredients, some parents won't be happy with this being consumed. Although I argue that matters such as this (and any other "trivial" Muslim obligation - which varies between different people) should be known by the child since it'll be something they've been taught of as fundamental. For that matter, so should the whole food thing but I guess you don't want to be offering anything they would deny.
    It does depend on the activities you're doing and the children's age group if you want some more specifics which might be worth being aware of for you - I'm thinking of silly things tbh but I know that some families take them seriously (no particular example in mind just generally).

Edit: reading op properly - are you doing childcare childcare. As in maybe 3-6 year old babysitting? Is that what it means?
    Hi. Thanks. So it is basically just meat and meat products? They're around 5 so it's not like we'll be getting into gambling and alcohol territory. And the I imagine parents would let us know if there was anything less obvious.
    Only other thing I can think of is I read something about blessed foods, but does that extends to foods or activities that are based on something religions, but not actual worship (so like Easter eggs and stuff). It's there any line I might need to be careful of there?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hi there. I do some volunteering with a youth group and obviously that involves respecting allergies, dietary needs and other "special requirements". Most things are pretty self explanatory, but I'm not confident I know fully what Halal entails and what it might relate to in a childcare setting (food or other activities). I'm aware most meat is off limits, but it's there anything potentially less obvious that I should be aware of?
    I tried googling, but honestly I'm not sure what I would be looking out for so it's probably best I just ask people who'd know better, even if it's just giving me an idea of the best place to check myself.

Thanks for any help.
    Peace be with you, Kindred.

In terms of the childcare setting, with halal food its straightforward. This means that the food will need to be specified as halal on the packaging or HMC if applicable on the childcare setting.

Any other aspects of halal in a childcare environment is the music aspect where the children have to dance/sing and the likes. However that said they should not be restricted as they are quite young hence they would not be sinned yet their parents would be. On such occasions parents would specify if they desire their child to partake in such activities if not then its fine.

I hope that has cleared up the issue for you. If not please do let me know. Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by MiszshorTea786)
    Peace be with you, Kindred.

In terms of the childcare setting, with halal food its straightforward. This means that the food will need to be specified as halal on the packaging or HMC if applicable on the childcare setting.

Any other aspects of halal in a childcare environment is the music aspect where the children have to dance/sing and the likes. However that said they should not be restricted as they are quite young hence they would not be sinned yet their parents would be. On such occasions parents would specify if they desire their child to partake in such activities if not then its fine.

I hope that has cleared up the issue for you. If not please do let me know. Thank you.
    Thanks. That helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.