Turn on thread page Beta

subconsciously disconnecting from people watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    so basically i've hung out with the same group of people since year 7 in school, i'm now in year 11 and a few months ago realised that i have very little in common with any of them. i guess i could call them my friends seeing as i hang out with them the most (during school) but i rarely tell them about any problems i have. if i do, it's to only one person in the group or a guy that i'm much closer with.

they're nice enough people, i just find them... boring? like i zone out often during their conversations because they just tend to talk about the same things- reality shows, prom, some celebrity... i have tried to watch these shows, look at these people but i just didn't take interest in it. i don't have the same sense of humour as them either, whatever they're laughing at i just don't find funny at all.

and then after that realisation i'm really struggling to make conversations with the majority of the group. i'm always thinking of things to say, or what i have in common with them but i just can't think of anything. things i try to talk about they're not interested in or haven't heard of so conversation just ends up being quite... senseless? like it's dumb conversations because i just don't know what else we would be talking about. i can feel myself detatching from them more and more, and it sucks. am i not trying enough with them?

i suppose i'm not really asking for advice, i just wanted to get this off my chest. i suppose there's no point doing anything seeing as it's a few months till gcses, though we're all pretty much staying on for sixth form so i'm lowkey wondering if i'll hang out with others then, i dunno.

there's a group of people i've always liked talking to in my class, we have the same sense of humour and common interests and they're just really lovely people, but i suppose the friendship groups are kinda just set in such a way that it'd be a weird process hanging out with other people now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hiya,

Sorry you havent got any replies for this. Tbh I think you are trying but maybe you are different from those you hang out with, as in different hobbies/interests. For some friendship groups never work bcuz there is always that one person who feels detached from the others, so its not your fault, dont feel down or anything bcuz there are others like that. Try focusing on your upcoming exams and revision and in a couple of months you will in College/Sixth Form and I doubt you will see those ppl again and a whole lot of new ppl will be surrounded around you x

ReputationRep:
    I had the exact same experience as you, but I was aware that I didn't have much in common with the group I hung round with in school from the beginning. The people I really liked and wanted to be friends with had a very closed off tight-knit group, but after we left school, my group went off and did a lot of different things while I went to college. This tight-knit group went to college too, and I ended up melding into that group and it was honestly the best thing to happen to me in college.

It's a sad fact of life that the probable reason you're friends with this group you're with now is because you've seen them every day for five years and it's just naturally fallen into place that even if you were comptable when you first met them, you'll have grown up a lot in the last few years and you're probably not anymore. It's sad to let go of friends that you've had for years, but you'll find that once you do you'll be a lot happier to be friends with people who you actually have common interests with. This subconscious disconnecting is your brain telling you it's time to move on, and that's a good thing. Hope this helps
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kanairee)
    I had the exact same experience as you, but I was aware that I didn't have much in common with the group I hung round with in school from the beginning. The people I really liked and wanted to be friends with had a very closed off tight-knit group, but after we left school, my group went off and did a lot of different things while I went to college. This tight-knit group went to college too, and I ended up melding into that group and it was honestly the best thing to happen to me in college.

It's a sad fact of life that the probable reason you're friends with this group you're with now is because you've seen them every day for five years and it's just naturally fallen into place that even if you were comptable when you first met them, you'll have grown up a lot in the last few years and you're probably not anymore. It's sad to let go of friends that you've had for years, but you'll find that once you do you'll be a lot happier to be friends with people who you actually have common interests with. This subconscious disconnecting is your brain telling you it's time to move on, and that's a good thing. Hope this helps
    thank you, this made me feel a little better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.