Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently having to complete a lot of online video interviews and assessment days in order to secure myself an apprenticeship.
    One big barrier preventing me from achieving to the best of my ability is my confidence. If I am being interviewed or I have to speak infant of large groups of people my voice goes all shaky and my mind goes completely blank.
    Is there any way i can build upon my confidence to stop this - I don't want my confidence being my barrier to success anymore!
    Charlotte x

ReputationRep:
    Be as prepared as you can be for your interviews and when you’re speaking in front of people. The more prepared you are the less nervous you’ll be. They will expect you to have some level of nerves as it’s a high pressure and tense environment. Really learn about the apprenticeship that you want and you’ll have loads to talk about, when you get into a rhythm you’ll forget all about your nerves.
    Have a strong and simple start this will help you settle in to your interview or speech/presentation. Once your settled you can really show off your qualities.
    Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Your voice is an instrument, and to play an instrument well you need practice. Talk to as many people as you can, practice some interview questions with yourself or friends. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie_2114)
    Be as prepared as you can be for your interviews and when you’re speaking in front of people. The more prepared you are the less nervous you’ll be. They will expect you to have some level of nerves as it’s a high pressure and tense environment. Really learn about the apprenticeship that you want and you’ll have loads to talk about, when you get into a rhythm you’ll forget all about your nerves.
    Have a strong and simple start this will help you settle in to your interview or speech/presentation. Once your settled you can really show off your qualities.
    Hope this helps
    Thank you so much super helpful xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Your voice is an instrument, and to play an instrument well you need practice. Talk to as many people as you can, practice some interview questions with yourself or friends. Good luck!
    Thank you! xx

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you have a practice interveiw in front of your friends or family and improve from there. Also smile and think happy thoughts

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterios)
    I suggest you have a practice interveiw in front of your friends or family and improve from there. Also smile and think happy thoughts

Good Luck
    Thank you very much! Some really helpful feedback from everyone - I will 100% take every tip on board x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottiedx)
    I am currently having to complete a lot of online video interviews and assessment days in order to secure myself an apprenticeship.
    One big barrier preventing me from achieving to the best of my ability is my confidence. If I am being interviewed or I have to speak infant of large groups of people my voice goes all shaky and my mind goes completely blank.
    Is there any way i can build upon my confidence to stop this - I don't want my confidence being my barrier to success anymore!
    Charlotte x
    Go one dates with guys from a dating site like Tinder. For real. Sounds weird, but, gets you comfortable with meeting, sitting down and asking questions - much like an interview. Video interviews are easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jdddd)
    Go one dates with guys from a dating site like Tinder. For real. Sounds weird, but, gets you comfortable with meeting, sitting down and asking questions - much like an interview. Video interviews are easy.
    Haha, quirky idea but it is definitely worth a try! I prefer face-to-face interviews just because I generally find it difficult to maintain eye contact with a web cam (think it's really odd communicating with a camera, but it does save the hassle of having to visit offices).

ReputationRep:
    Haha, quirky idea but it is definitely worth a try! I prefer face-to-face interviews just because I generally find it difficult to maintain eye contact with a web cam (think it's really odd communicating with a camera, but it does save the hassle of having to visit offices).
    It worth a try! It will also be face to face But, you don't have to meet on 'dating' terms, maybe, set out in your profile why you want to meet someone such as you want to practice, but, add something like 'it would be nice to make some new friends too'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Charlotte x
    Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to take up a combat sport like boxing. There are a few female only boxing classes out there. This help with confidence hugely. If you not afraid to take a hit, an interview will be child's play.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.