Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to Move to America? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I've been in a relationship with a long distance relationship with an American for 2 years now. I'm in my second last year of my degree in English Literature, he still has another two years of university to go over there. He's studying Computer Science.

    Essentially, my boyfriend and I would prefer to live over in the US but I really have no idea of how to get myself a visa. I don't have a degree that's any use for employment. Obviously the easiest way is to just get married, but we don't want to do that just to get a visa as it doesn't really sit right with either of us, though I suppose we'd do that if we had absolutely no other option. I don't have any American relatives. It's really going to have to be either employment or pot luck. I'm just struggling to work out the best way given that there really aren't any loopholes.

    I know I'm thinking way ahead of the game but I'm unsure as to what my next move ought to be. Would doing a postgraduate conversion into something like Software Engineering/Cyber Security etc. lead to employment over there? Would I be better off just trying to nab a grad job with a big global company and trying to transfer out? How many years of experience are we talking?

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

    With great difficulty.

    Easiest way by far would be to simply marry him. You guys both have 2 years left so keep at the LDR and see how it progresses. You can travel to the US under the visa-waiver program for up to 90 days at a time, so why not go visit him in the summer and see how things go? Obviously don't marry him for a visa but if you love each other and want to be together that is the easiest method.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.