The Student Room Group

How to Move to America?

I've been in a relationship with a long distance relationship with an American for 2 years now. I'm in my second last year of my degree in English Literature, he still has another two years of university to go over there. He's studying Computer Science.

Essentially, my boyfriend and I would prefer to live over in the US but I really have no idea of how to get myself a visa. I don't have a degree that's any use for employment. Obviously the easiest way is to just get married, but we don't want to do that just to get a visa as it doesn't really sit right with either of us, though I suppose we'd do that if we had absolutely no other option. I don't have any American relatives. It's really going to have to be either employment or pot luck. I'm just struggling to work out the best way given that there really aren't any loopholes.

I know I'm thinking way ahead of the game but I'm unsure as to what my next move ought to be. Would doing a postgraduate conversion into something like Software Engineering/Cyber Security etc. lead to employment over there? Would I be better off just trying to nab a grad job with a big global company and trying to transfer out? How many years of experience are we talking?

Does anyone have any recommendations?
With great difficulty.

Easiest way by far would be to simply marry him. You guys both have 2 years left so keep at the LDR and see how it progresses. You can travel to the US under the visa-waiver program for up to 90 days at a time, so why not go visit him in the summer and see how things go? Obviously don't marry him for a visa but if you love each other and want to be together that is the easiest method.
It is super hard to move there. My mum married an American and moved over there and it took 2 years for her visa to process. I applied for my visa 2 years ago and i am moving in August. You have to have a medical examination and an interview at the American embassy in London which i found reall scary. Im not saying its impossible to move there without marriage or family but it will be extremely difficult. Ive lived 2 years in a different country than my mum and i only just get to move so even with family or marriage it is still difficult. You can still apply for a visa without any relation to the country. I hope you make it. Good Luck!
If you enroll in a post graduate course, you will get two years guarenteed. By then, you could be married. If not, you should just try to find employment. If you go straight for a marriage visa, the citizenship process could take another 6 months or so, which is not that bad in the scheme of things, just something to be aware of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending