Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else feel like a failure? watch

Announcements

Was in private education for 14 years, didn't do well in my A levels, resat them and finally got into uni. Felt like I had wasted my parents' money.
    In my third year of uni and been only just about scraping though.

Currently on a low 2:2, needed to do really well in my January exams but I know I f*cked up some of them. Really don't think I will graduate with a 2:1. Feels pointless spending 3 years at uni if I'm only going to come out with a 2:2. My sister also only got a 2:2 (also had private education) and she still can't find a job. Think both me and my sister are disappointments.

My parents were so happy for me to go to uni because I'm on a great course and at a great university and they even said they'd pay off all my loans after I graduate (I didn't ask them to, they said they wanted to).

Feel like so much money has been wasted on me (and my sister) and we have nothing to show for it. My parents aren't actually that wealthy either, they just sacrificed a lot when we were growing up to send us to good schools. So it's not like I can afford to live off them and not work.

Was actually always one of the brightest students at school so I think they had high hopes but when it came to AS and A2 and I had to actually revise loads, I didn't do so well. Same with uni exams, I struggle to remember such large amounts of info. Basically I'm not as academic as my parents had hoped.

Anyone else on here graduated with a 2:2 or less and doing ok? I don't even know what I want to do. All I know is nothing related to my science degree (not that I'd even be able to get a decent science job with a 2:2). Also don't bother saying 'you might get a 2:1 if you try really hard, because it's extremely unlikely and I need to think realistically'.

ReputationRep:
    One of my tutors graduate with a Third and he's doing really good, but he graduated ages ago. You can still get a good job if you do your masters and get a good grade in that. Other than that, it depends on your course and the type of job you'd like to go into.

ReputationRep:
    hey there , i'm gonna bump your thread up cause i think i can learn something from this even though i'm not at uni yet

I also went to a private school but for 9 years. Surprisingly, my grades are much better now in a comprehensive school. Probably because I started to push myself more because I want to be better than everyone else hehehe

At my private school, I was mostly getting Cs and some Bs. Now I have mostly As

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2:2, did a master's, got a merit, bummed around for a few years, got a job.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I got a 2:2, did a master's, got a merit, bummed around for a few years, got a job.
    What did you do for your masters? Was it related to your undergraduate degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What did you do for your masters? Was it related to your undergraduate degree?
    I did something pretty different, but they were both social sciences.

Maybe the pressure got to you?

ReputationRep:
    The guys on my degree who graduated with ordinary degrees have done the best career wise.

That's because they're the sort of guys who were out partying all the time. Who didn't get hyper about academic work.

The sort of guys with a lot of self confidence and good inter-personal skills.

A 2,2 is fine. Most employers care far more about what you are like as person to work with than what grade of degree you got.
    It's only if you want to enter the world of academia that getting a 2.1 or a first becomes a requirement. Or if there are so many applicants for a job that the employer uses it as a lazy way to filter out CV's. Or if the person doing the recruiting got a first and thinks that that therefore makes them special in some way and has some snobbery over people with 2.2's - in which case you wouldn't want to work for a snob like that.

So - stop being negative. Enjoy your time at Uni. Feel free to pay your parents back for all their support for you over the years - and payback doesn't have to be in money, it can be in time and emotional support.
    Practise and hone your inter-personal skills. Build up your confidence in meeting and dealing with people.
    And feel free to go self-employed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
    The guys on my degree who graduated with ordinary degrees have done the best career wise.

That's because they're the sort of guys who were out partying all the time. Who didn't get hyper about academic work.

The sort of guys with a lot of self confidence and good inter-personal skills.

A 2,2 is fine. Most employers care far more about what you are like as person to work with than what grade of degree you got.
    It's only if you want to enter the world of academia that getting a 2.1 or a first becomes a requirement. Or if there are so many applicants for a job that the employer uses it as a lazy way to filter out CV's. Or if the person doing the recruiting got a first and thinks that that therefore makes them special in some way and has some snobbery over people with 2.2's - in which case you wouldn't want to work for a snob like that.

So - stop being negative. Enjoy your time at Uni. Feel free to pay your parents back for all their support for you over the years - and payback doesn't have to be in money, it can be in time and emotional support.
    Practise and hone your inter-personal skills. Build up your confidence in meeting and dealing with people.
    And feel free to go self-employed.
    Um... How silly is to do bachelors all over again after graduating 5 years ago?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.