Turn on thread page Beta

Which University offers better placements/career centers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Quick question. I am an EU student looking to attend school for Psychology Conversion. My biggest concern is finding work experience after my Masters so I would qualify for a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology. Out of the schools I got into, which do you think would offer better employability or has good connections with recruiters/research projects? (Especially for work experience in Clinical Psychology)

I have offers and I am choosing between:

1. Edinburgh
    2. Glasgow
    3. St. Andrews
    4. Sussex
    5. Nottingham
    6. Bristol
    7. Middlesex
    8. Essex

My husband is moving to London for a new job so it would be nice to stay as close to London as possible, but on the flip side, want a school that will offer the best opportunities. I am worried about looking atttactive to employers and am wondering if my job chances would be similar or vastly different between the schools I listed.

I went to undergrad in the USA, and a lot of people chose my university due to it being a main recruiting hub for the top 50 of fortune 500 companies in the USA. (Totally true, I got 5 job offers 6 months before graduation.)

Do any of these schools have similar reputations?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Edinburgh and St Andrews are the best regarded universities on your list, but you also have to think about if you want to live in Scotland, London (Middelsex campus is mostly in north London) or another city like Bristol, or somewhere more country like Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't any undergraduate/conversion courses that will guarantee you a spot on a DClinPsy. Trainees come from all kinds of undergrad programmes and ranking isn't a factor when courses shortlist. The world of psychology doesn't really go by prestige of university, unlike say law firms or corporate jobs, but rather on things like a graduates ability to reflect on their experience, demonstrating competency and being able to publish research.

However, there are more opportunities to gain work experience in larger cities. London has the biggest range of mental health services, hospitals, community teams, research organisations etc, where you can look for clinical experience. They also have a larger number of universities where you can try to gain research connections, but there is correspondingly more competition for those posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Asriel)
    There isn't any undergraduate/conversion courses that will guarantee you a spot on a DClinPsy. Trainees come from all kinds of undergrad programmes and ranking isn't a factor when courses shortlist. The world of psychology doesn't really go by prestige of university, unlike say law firms or corporate jobs, but rather on things like a graduates ability to reflect on their experience, demonstrating competency and being able to publish research.

However, there are more opportunities to gain work experience in larger cities. London has the biggest range of mental health services, hospitals, community teams, research organisations etc, where you can look for clinical experience. They also have a larger number of universities where you can try to gain research connections, but there is correspondingly more competition for those posts.
    Yah I figured. I was not worried about prestige per say, just wondering which program might offer better access to jobs. Makes sense that whatever is close to London would be best. Anyone know if it is possible to commute easily from London to Sussex?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.