• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Harriso1)
    I know many universities don't consider them but are Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, York, Edinburgh etc . bothered?

If I'm doing my Masters at a different uni.

Thanks
    They may ask for grades but they're generally more worried about your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    They may ask for grades but they're generally more worried about your degree.
    But would mostly B's limit me?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    But would mostly B's limit me?
    If you’re applying for a grad scheme that wants certain grades yes. For masters courses no.

ReputationRep:
    probably not depending on your postgraduate level.

I'm going to open university this year. can't go to a brick uni due to being a full time mum and carer.

if I wanted to, I can go to a brick uni to do a masters after ou as long as I get a 2:1 degree.
    with ou, you don't even need functional skills never mind gcses and a levels. so if I can from ou, you can.

btw, I do have 16 gcses (1 A* 2 bs the rest cs) and currently 2nd a level for my chosen degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuthieG101)
    probably not depending on your postgraduate level.

I'm going to open university this year. can't go to a brick uni due to being a full time mum and carer.

if I wanted to, I can go to a brick uni to do a masters after ou as long as I get a 2:1 degree.
    with ou, you don't even need functional skills never mind gcses and a levels. so if I can from ou, you can.

btw, I do have 16 gcses (1 A* 2 bs the rest cs) and currently 2nd a level for my chosen degree.
    16 GCSE's??? Did you sit some more after school?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford weren't bothered about my A Levels when I was talking to them about a DPhil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Oxford weren't bothered about my A Levels when I was talking to them about a DPhil.
    Wb GCSE's? What were your grades for a level & gcse

ReputationRep:
    Wb GCSE's? What were your grades for a level & gcse
    GCSEs never got mentioned either.

Can't remember my GCSE grades specifically, it was 16 years ago. A Levels were Bs.

ReputationRep:
    I know many universities don't consider them but are Oxbridge, UCL, Durham, York, Edinburgh etc . bothered?

If I'm doing my Masters at a different uni.

Thanks
    As long as it's not an MSci, no.

They don't care... at all

ReputationRep:
    16 GCSE's??? Did you sit some more after school?
    I did sociology as a school leaver during a levels but I got multiple grades for science and English which all added up
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You will often be asked to list your relevant qualifications, and left to interpret that however you like. It's common for people to list relevant A level subjects, especially where the particular MA they hope to study exists at the intersection of their undergraduate degree subject and something they have only formally studied at A level. It really won't make a difference in the extreme majority of cases, though. I recall listing one A level subject on a few postgraduate applications as it was an A in a relevant subject, but I don't think I listed a single GCSE on any.

If you are ever in any doubt about these things, contact the universities. You can often talk to someone directly involved with making admissions decisions.

ReputationRep:
    No they are not important only your social media Account is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niekman843)
    No they are not important only your social media Account is
    Good!

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not important.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would some qualifications you got 3+ years before in ostensibly unrelated areas be relevant in any way?

Outside of the minimal requirement of Maths and English at C or above (literacy and numeracy requirement) and the small possibility of them requiring Maths at GCSE or A-level to a higher grade if you don't have a numerate degree and are applying to something with some quantitative element (e.g. some business/finance courses) I can't see that it's likely. Honestly, if they did, I would be wary of them...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.