Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The top end of a two-by-four piece of lumber that is 4.2 m long is leaned at a height of 2.4 m against a smooth wall so that the bottom end makes an angle of 35 ∘ with the floor. This board has an inertia of 4.2 kg .

What is the normal force exerted by the wall on the board?

Attempted solution:

The sum of the forces in both the x and y directions is zero. The gravitational force and the normal force from the floor are both exclusively in the y direction and the normal force from the wall and frictional force from the ground are in the x direction.

The friction force and the normal force from the wall on the board are in opposite directions, so we know
    Fx=Fw-Ff=0
    Ff=Fw and that they are acting in opposition to each other.

We also know that net torque is zero, since the system is not moving.
    In the x direction
    tao=Fxrsin(theta)

Since I do not have a coefficient of static friction for the floor or for the lumber, how am I supposed to solve this question?

ReputationRep:
    Although I do not agree with your initial assumptions, you can always enter a new variable for the floor friction or create an assumption to provide a solution.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't attempted it, but since I don't know the friction on the floor, I'd take moments about that point - meaning any force acting there is out of the equation.

Edited to add: and unless there's anything missing from your question (or unless I've misunderstood) then it becomes a very straightforward problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.