Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently in dmu, its a university in Leicester, it's not even been a year and i'm done with it. I don't think uni is too hard but i'm just not motivated anymore. I originally wanted to go to London for university but a lot of my friends were in Leicester and dmu seemed like a decent uni.

I feel alone, i dont really like the uni too much.

i'm thinking about transferring to middlesex i heard its pretty trash, even worse than dmu, but london is a pretty amazing city and hopefully i can make some decent friends, i feel like you have to be pretty dedicated to going to london for uni because of the fact that it's ridiculously more expensive, and i'm guessing more people will be willing to be social.

i dont even know anymore, i just hate being alone man, i'm not used to it, i'm not really a introvert, back in my home town i had a lot of friends but here i cant seem to get along with anyone.

i need some advice dudes, am i crazy because reading this again i sound like a spaz
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by NoEaze)
    i'm currently in dmu, its a university in Leicester, it's not even been a year and i'm done with it. I don't think uni is too hard but i'm just not motivated anymore. I originally wanted to go to London for university but a lot of my friends were in Leicester and dmu seemed like a decent uni.

i'm thinking about transferring to middlesex i heard its pretty trash, even worse than dmu, but london is a pretty amazing city and hopefully i can make some decent friends, i feel like you have to be pretty dedicated to going to london for uni because of the fact that it's ridiculously more expensive, and i'm guessing more people will be willing to be social.

i dont even know anymore, i just hate being alone man, i'm not used to it, i'm not really a introvert, back in my home town i had a lot of friends but here i cant seem to get along with anyone.

i need some advice dudes, am i crazy because reading this again i sound like a spaz
    I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you want from uni. If it's just about making friends and having a good time why not drop out, get a job which earns you some money and do just that. If it's about getting a degree for your future career then transfer if you think there's a better uni to do your course at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I think you need to spend some time thinking about what you want from uni. If it's just about making friends and having a good time why not drop out, get a job which earns you some money and do just that. If it's about getting a degree for your future career then transfer if you think there's a better uni to do your course at.
    im doing computer science, i feel like its my best option in terms of being more employable, it just sucks not having friends
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    im doing computer science, i feel like its my best option in terms of being more employable, it just sucks not having friends
    In that case there are loads of good unis to transfer to for comp sci in London. And what's to say you will make friends there? Have you joined any clubs or societies? What about the people you live with and on your course?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Just some insights and impressions:

1. You sound lost.
    2. There is absolutely no guarantee you will make friends and London can be even more lonely. Go to an open day. Talk to students there.
    3. Apply to some different unis and consider a course with foundation year. That might get you into a better uni.
    4. You get a gift year, so you could start fresh at anyone who will accept you.
    5. Your reason for leaving seems to be driven by not making friends, just makes me wary that it could happen again and be even more miserable in London.
    6. Take a step back, maybe suspend your studies and have a think about what you want. Funding will not come your way again. A year out could help,
    7. Consider if there are other ways to make friends, clubs, being more social, even o back and resit your A levels.

My concern is you jump into something the same or worse and more expensive. I would take a time out to figure what and where you wish to go.

ReputationRep:
    Join a sports club, not a uni one, but a local one. You're in leicester, there are a lot of good boxing and fight clubs there. All kinds of good martial art places. If you're not into them I'm sure there are other clubs around like some small football teams or whatever. I'm exactly like you in uni (uni of Liverpool) but made some good friends at a local boxing club (not the uni one). So I'd recommend that local sport clubs instead of uni ones.

I am guessing you could join the uni ones if you liked. You'd maybe make friends there too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    i'm thinking about transferring to middlesex i heard its pretty trash, even worse than dmu, but london is a pretty amazing city
    If it's the "big city" university experience you want, Middlesex isn't really the bright lights of London, although I guess the Northern Line is always an option.

ReputationRep:
    Middlesex is hardly London... If you're looking for the city experience I doubt it will cut it.

ReputationRep:
    just an fyi- middlesex isn't the London your imagining. I live in London and view it as basically countryside. if you want the proper London experience go to ucl or another uni in the centre of town

ReputationRep:
    If you transfer into the 2nd year of an existing course cohort, you are likely to find it even more difficult making friends - ie. they will already have their friendships worked out.

Unmotivated .... so, how will that be different at any other Uni? Are you using the 'no friends' as an excuse for 'haven't done enough work'? Is the Uni itself the problem - or is it actually you? You really do have to be very honest with yourself about all of these questions.

Time to take a year out? Work, do some travel? And think about why you want to be 'at Uni' at all.

ReputationRep:

I'm in my first year at dmu too and hate it. Think I'm transferring next year, you've just got to do what's right for you. If you can't see yourself spending 3 years there then don't waste your money. Transfer, or start afresh somewhere else!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your time at DMU. Did you try to join some societies or sports?
    The first year can be quite daunting, but I think with time it will get better!

I am currently studying at Middlesex and I am loving it here! There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends. You get to have a campus life but, in 15 minutes with the underground, you can be in Camden Town!
    Of course London gives loads of opportunities to get some work experience and to get a job afterwards!

Let me know if you have specific questions about Middlesex and I will be happy to answer.

Take care
    Ludovica

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.