Turn on thread page Beta

Second STEM degree and Maintenance funding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am considering applying to complete a chemistry degree part time, starting in October 2018. I will complete my part time biology degree in June 2018.

I believe I am right in saying that I will be eligible for funding for the second degree as it is a STEM subject. But I am a little unclear (and struggling to find information) about the new maintenance loans for part time students. Would I be eligible to receive it as I will have already completed a degree (without any maintenance loans)?

Thank you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    Hi,

I am considering applying to complete a chemistry degree part time, starting in October 2018. I will complete my part time biology degree in June 2018.

I believe I am right in saying that I will be eligible for funding for the second degree as it is a STEM subject. But I am a little unclear (and struggling to find information) about the new maintenance loans for part time students. Would I be eligible to receive it as I will have already completed a degree (without any maintenance loans)?

Thank you.
    Hi Supercat007,

In order for us to determine your eligibility for funding for a second degree can you confirm the university and full title of the course that you are wishing to start in October. This is so we can check if it is identified as a STEM course.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi Supercat007,

In order for us to determine your eligibility for funding for a second degree can you confirm the university and full title of the course that you are wishing to start in October. This is so we can check if it is identified as a STEM course.

Thanks

Louise
    BSc Natural Sciences (Chemistry) Q64, Open University.

I'm almost certain it will be STEM. Just wondered about rules for maintenance for second degrees.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    BSc Natural Sciences (Chemistry) Q64, Open University.

I'm almost certain it will be STEM. Just wondered about rules for maintenance for second degrees.
    Hi SuperCat007,

Based on the information that you have provided the course that you are looking to studying as a 2nd degree is a part time STEM course.
    Therefore you would be eligible for funding from Student Finance for a 2nd degree.
    Part Time Maintenance Loans (PTML) will be available to new students starting new courses from august 2018 onwards on eligible courses.
    Distance Learning courses, which Open University is classed as, are not eligible for PTML. You would however be eligible for tuition fee support.
    Part Time applications for 2018/19 academic year will not be available
    until June. If you wish to contact us nearer to the time for further information.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi SuperCat007,

Based on the information that you have provided the course that you are looking to studying as a 2nd degree is a part time STEM course.
    Therefore you would be eligible for funding from Student Finance for a 2nd degree.
    Part Time Maintenance Loans (PTML) will be available to new students starting new courses from august 2018 onwards on eligible courses.
    Distance Learning courses, which Open University is classed as, are not eligible for PTML. You would however be eligible for tuition fee support.
    Part Time applications for 2018/19 academic year will not be available
    until June. If you wish to contact us nearer to the time for further information.

Thanks

Louise
    Could you reference the appropriate SFE documents which state this please? I'm surprised that one of the biggest part time learning providers has not been included in the new part time maintenance loan scheme. I'd really like to have a look at the rules and regs as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm also wondering the same thing - if I'm eligible for a part-time maintenance loan to cover a second degree which is in a STEM subject?

I completed a BA in Japanese in 2010 and am now considering applying part-time for the BSc Marine Science with Arctic Studies at the University of the Highlands and Islands (UCAS Code F710).

This is not a distance course so I would be living and hopefully working part-time in Oban. However, for the Arctic Studies strand there is a compulsory semester abroad in Svalbard, Norway. Would that effect my eligibility for a maintenance loan that year?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi,

Thank you.

Hi SuperCat007,

To be eligible students must be commencing a new part time course that begins on or after 1 August 2018.

You can be confident that you will be eligible to apply for second part time degree in one of the STEM subjects, these are commonly known as Part Time Exception Courses.

You must be studying one of the following part time courses in order to be eligible to apply for a Part Time Maintenance Loan (PTML):

• Bachelor Degree (with or without Honours)
    • Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
    • Integrated Masters Degree
    • Graduate Diploma
    • Graduate Certificate
    • Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
    • Foundation Degree in Dental Health/Dental Therapy
    • Diploma of Higher Education in Dental Health/Dental Therapy or Operating Department Practice

Any other qualifications with the exception of those listed above will not be eligible for the PTML during academic year 2018/19.

However students studying a different undergraduate qualification can still receive a part time tuition fee loan and DSA support.

Regards Rona

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.