The Student Room Group

GCSE choices

Hi so I’m in y9 and I’ve chosen to do French, History, Drama and Latin for my GCSEs. At my school we also have to do triple science. (I know some people say that Latin is quite a boring/hard subject but I enjoy it and don’t find it too hard). Some of my friends doing similar extra subjects are doing Ancient Greek for GCSE. As it is an off timetable lesson, I only have to decide by the Easter holidays if I want to do it or not. I am not sure because: On one hand, it is a very useful skill to have with Latin and it apparently looks really good on uni applications as not many schools offer it. On the other hand, I’ve never done it before so I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it and it’s an extra after school subject (meaning I’ll be doing 11 wheras the normal number for my school is 10). Although I find all my extra subjects relatively easy and the same with English and Maths, I struggle a bit with the sciences esp physics and biology (which isn’t made better by having really bad teachers in them this year).

I’m not sure what I should do. Please advise if you are doing Ancient Greek, doing 11 GCSEs or just have strong opinions on the subject 😂

Thanks!
Original post by Anonymous870
Hi so I’m in y9 and I’ve chosen to do French, History, Drama and Latin for my GCSEs. At my school we also have to do triple science. (I know some people say that Latin is quite a boring/hard subject but I enjoy it and don’t find it too hard). Some of my friends doing similar extra subjects are doing Ancient Greek for GCSE. As it is an off timetable lesson, I only have to decide by the Easter holidays if I want to do it or not. I am not sure because: On one hand, it is a very useful skill to have with Latin and it apparently looks really good on uni applications as not many schools offer it. On the other hand, I’ve never done it before so I don’t know if I’ll be any good at it and it’s an extra after school subject (meaning I’ll be doing 11 wheras the normal number for my school is 10). Although I find all my extra subjects relatively easy and the same with English and Maths, I struggle a bit with the sciences esp physics and biology (which isn’t made better by having really bad teachers in them this year).

I’m not sure what I should do. Please advise if you are doing Ancient Greek, doing 11 GCSEs or just have strong opinions on the subject 😂

Thanks!

At a level they always say three good grades are better than 4 average ones, so it might be worth applying that here.

Also, could you pursue Latin outside the classroom, a bit like you are now? Keeping it as an interest/hobby would still allow you to a) learn it at your pace and b) mention it on any applications.

Saying all this, if you plan to do a degree where Latin is very useful, then I think it’s best for you to continue :smile:

Hope that gives you something to think about :smile:
Original post by Anonymous870

Thanks!

Ancient Greek is a really interesting language & to be honest, if you’re to sort of student who wants to do the subject, you’ll probably end up doing well in it. Anyway if it’s too much you can just drop it a few months into the year. But keep in mind that both Latin & Greek GCSE are essentially 50% English lit. Half your papers will be analysing poetry & literature, and you will have to write essays about the dramatic effect etc.
They are both very rewarding subjects though, so if you can do them I would certainly recommend
Original post by brainzistheword
At a level they always say three good grades are better than 4 average ones, so it might be worth applying that here.

Also, could you pursue Latin outside the classroom, a bit like you are now? Keeping it as an interest/hobby would still allow you to a) learn it at your pace and b) mention it on any applications.

Saying all this, if you plan to do a degree where Latin is very useful, then I think it’s best for you to continue :smile:

Hope that gives you something to think about :smile:

Thank you so much! (I have actually already decided to do Latin, and was wondering more about Ancient Greek)
Original post by koala789
Ancient Greek is a really interesting language & to be honest, if you’re to sort of student who wants to do the subject, you’ll probably end up doing well in it. Anyway if it’s too much you can just drop it a few months into the year. But keep in mind that both Latin & Greek GCSE are essentially 50% English lit. Half your papers will be analysing poetry & literature, and you will have to write essays about the dramatic effect etc.
They are both very rewarding subjects though, so if you can do them I would certainly recommend

Thank you, that’s really helpful! I think I’m going to try it and drop it it’s too much but still not entirely sure!!

Quick Reply

Latest