Turn on thread page Beta

Long story short I had a bad experience at the dentist when I was about 15. Since I was 18 I haven’t been to the dentist (almost 20 now).

I had bad toothache a few months ago but I ignored it and it went away. Today I was eating and the same tooth that was aching broke... two large chunks came off.

I know I need to go to the dentist but I’m so so scared. I can’t phone them up. Every time I try to I begin to cry. I don’t know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    they are ordinary people that are probably more scared of having there hands bitten off than you are of them

It’s not the dentist themselves that I’m scared of. It’s the pain that comes with it. When I was younger I had a bad experience which resulted in severe pain and me not wanting to go back but having to. Now I won’t go back at all but I know that I have to I just can’t make that call...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    While there are bad dentists out there, there are also a great deal of good ones. And most dental practices will have at least one dentist who has a lot of experience in dealing with people with phobias.

So pick up the phone and explain your situation to them. I used to have a bad dentist phobia in my teens however I overcame it by getting in touch with a dentist who was very understanding of my fears and took the time to work through them. Thanks to him and my own efforts, I was able to overcome my fear of the dentist, had my teeth fixed and was able to attend regular dental checkups etc. No matter how debilitating your fear feels at the moment, phobias CAN be overcome if you determine to stand up to them- don't let your phobia rule you to the ruin of your teeth!

You can do it. Picking up the phone and making the appointment is the hardest step, but once you get the ball rolling in motion, the rest will be a lot easier (you just have to turn up to the appointment, sit in a chair, explain your situation and start working it through with the dentist). If you go private you can even halve the ordeal into 2 appointments or more (whatever it takes).

But your teeth really need attending to right now, and if you let the situation continue, it will be guaranteed to get a lot worse (and you can hardly go through the rest of life never going to a dentist!). Concentrate on achieving a goal of having perfect, healthy and pain-free teeth (how badly do you want this?). Most dentists are actually very decent (and you were just very unlucky with the bad one who caused you that phobia). If you go to a new dentist, you will have already significantly increased your odds of having a good dentist appointment experience!

Remember nothing ventured nothing gained.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It’s not the dentist themselves that I’m scared of. It’s the pain that comes with it. When I was younger I had a bad experience which resulted in severe pain and me not wanting to go back but having to. Now I won’t go back at all but I know that I have to I just can’t make that call...
    Discuss this with them so they can take appropriate precautions.

If you are scared of the potentially short pain (possibly no pain) involved with fixing your tooth imagine the pain you'll feel for years if you don't get this dealt with.

What would you prefer? A short bit of pain and the problem goes away? Or a lifetime of teeth problems because you've not been to the dentist? Ultimately you need your teeth and the longer you wait to get this dealt with, the worse it will actually be when you do have to go to the dentist.

ReputationRep:
    You poor thing. It sounds like a debilitating fear.

It probably is something addressing sooner rather than later.

Try to find a practice where they make a point of saying that they cater for anxious patients. They will have people who can talk through your options. If pain is your primary concern then dental treatment can be carried out under sedation (medication into a vein in your arm, you don't remember it) but provision for this varies depending where you are in the country.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.