Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm considering two courses at the University of Manchester:
    MSc Marketing
    MA Economics

I know these two courses are totally different in terms of department and field but I have an equal interest in both. It seems like Manchester Business School has the higher ranking and known worldwide. So, with MSc Marketing degree, it might be seen better overall but I think MA Economics have more opportunity in terms of career as I think Marketing might be general compared to other degrees.

What do you think? I have been thinking about this and I need some help/suggestions
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gracy777)
    Hello, I'm considering two courses at the University of Manchester:
    MSc Marketing
    MA Economics

I know these two courses are totally different in terms of department and field but I have an equal interest in both. It seems like Manchester Business School has the higher ranking and known worldwide. So, with MSc Marketing degree, it might be seen better overall but I think MA Economics have more opportunity in terms of career as I think Marketing might be general compared to other degrees.

What do you think? I have been thinking about this and I need some help/suggestions
    Rankings and reputation are not going to get you anywhere really. What will is the course itself. Think about which course interests you more and is more closely aligned with what you want to do next. Where do grads end up and what links do the courses have with industry?

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do career-wise? Are you considering the economics MSc too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Rankings and reputation are not going to get you anywhere really. What will is the course itself. Think about which course interests you more and is more closely aligned with what you want to do next. Where do grads end up and what links do the courses have with industry?
    Of course, rankings and reputation are not everything but I have an equal interest in Marketing and Economics. To be honest, I feel marketing more comfortable in studying for the moment. Career-wise, if I get to choose marketing, then I would look into jobs related to digital marketing, marketing research, etc. and if I get to choose economics, then I would choose international organisations such as WTO, or consultant group, etc.
    Thing is, I do not have any higher priority for any career because it all seems to be interesting.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by gracy777)
    Of course, rankings and reputation are not everything but I have an equal interest in Marketing and Economics. To be honest, I feel marketing more comfortable in studying for the moment. Career-wise, if I get to choose marketing, then I would look into jobs related to digital marketing, marketing research, etc. and if I get to choose economics, then I would choose international organisations such as WTO, or consultant group, etc.
    Thing is, I do not have any higher priority for any career because it all seems to be interesting.
    I’d get some work experience and work out what you want to do first in that case. There is no rush and you may not even need a postgrad qualification.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    What do you want to do career-wise? Are you considering the economics MSc too?
    For career-wise, as I mentioned before, if to choose marketing then I will look into careers related to digital marketing, marketing research, and if economics, then I would like to try public sector (WTO), or some consulting groups.
    It seems like MSc Economics are more related to banking sector but currently, I'm not interested in banks so I told MA Economics. But, do you think I can cope up with MSc Economics with BSc Management (Intl.Business Economics) degree? I did take microeconomics, macroeconomics, managerial economics, macroeconomic analysis with some quantitative subjects course during my bachelor degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    I’d get some work experience and work out what you want to do first in that case. There is no rush and you may not even need a postgrad qualification.
    I have thought about it, but then since I'm an international student and if I don't apply for masters, got many things to sort out. To be honest, I have been trying and getting jobs are not working out in a way I wanted. Moreover, if to do an internship at WTO for instance, they require postgraduate in economics.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.