Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    My name is Hristo Slavov, I am 18 years old and live in London. I need some help, some advice and guidance as I’m going through a confused life stage right now. So if you can take your time to read this and try put yourself in my shoes to understand where I’m coming from. This is in relation to what I want to do for my future, what job or what career.

I started working from 16 years old, started in Poundland, then McDonald’s, then Morrisons and now an Apprenticeship. I’m always striving for better and better but whatever job I’ve been in I’ll always like it at the start but after a few months I’ll start to hate it. I don’t know if this is because I can’t decide on what I want to do, I really don’t know.

Moreover, I studied Electrical Installation Level 2 and 3 in college and passed both achieving diplomas in both. This allowed me to progress on something bigger for my career. I was applying for apprenticeships day in and day out as I thought it would suit me more as I’m more practical and wouldn’t like to be sitting in a class.

So I failed 2 interviews for an electrical apprenticeship and managed to get in on my third try. However when the whole recruiting process was happening for me, in my head I was thinking great, I’m starting an electrical installation apprenticeship. However the apprenticeship (I’m still doing) is a maintenance based job, where electrical, mechanical and engineering is involved, not installations. At the start, I was thinking great I am going to learn about all of these skills, but that ain’t the scenario at the moment.

I really hate this apprenticeship or job, I’m barely learning anything, I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to, I get bored most of the day and so on. The more time I spent at this place the more I got to realise how everything works. I like the people I work with, but this whole maintenance side is not really what I want, because maintenance is fixing the installations.

I’m supposed to be learning and the people here are supposed to be engaging me, but everyday it’s just the same. For example I do light checks every day, which is so boring. If I find a light that is out, I’m not even allowed to change it, I have to get someone else. See what I mean? Then after I would go with one of the supervisors and watch them or help them.

I don’t know how to explain this, but I don’t see myself doing this for the rest of my life. My mentor wants me to stay the full 2 years then he’s gonna offer me an interview for the company I’m guessing, he’s gonna expect me to pass it and stay doing maintenance. This ain’t me to be honest.

I know I said I wanted to be doing installations as well but from what I’m seeing I don’t want to be doing that much of hard and messy and dangerous work, it’s not in my liking either, I just don’t like working for people.

Money is important as well. Money is always on my mind and these jobs people get paid between £30,000 - £45,000, and this is low for me. Money is another subject so I won’t get into that.

I just don’t know what I want to do, I am eager to try a lot of jobs but I don’t want to waste my early years. I’m thinking to start looking for a new apprenticeship or something else and leave this maintenance apprenticeship before the 2 years but I don’t know how that’s going to impact me.

I might be like this because I’m young but I want to make money, really good money, but make this money doing something I like and look forward to. I’ve got a car and seem to be really interested in cars to be honest so designing cars or something related to that I wouldn’t mind trying.

I would look and research for jobs or apprenticeships all I want but I just don’t know what I want.

Or something business related, I’ve seen and know a bit about investing in these crypto currencies but that’s just for the side.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    hi, I'm just going to tag in Apprenticeships Advice and West Kent and Ashford College as they should be able to give you some advice
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Going to tag in IBMApprentices too

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear things have been challenging, sometimes when you start out in your career it does take a little bit of time before you find what you would really like to do. It definitely sounds like your mentor is supporting you staying with your apprenticeship and getting to the point where you complete and achieve.

There is sometimes a difference between companies with installation and maintenance, the advantage is that at the end of your apprenticeship you will have something extra to add on to your CV, if you stay and complete. This will be additional to the Diploma that you studied at College.

What is most important is that you are happy and are progressing through your apprenticeship. Speak to your Apprenticeship training provider, they are definitely best placed to give you one to one support.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.