Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I give the sum of £150,000 to my brother Magnus York. It is my wish and desire that of that sum of £150,000, Magnus will use the sum of £100,000 as he thinks fit to assist my three nieces, Francesca, Kim and Doris York. Is it more likely to be a fixed trust or discretionary ? Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that is a trust at all.

But if you change the wording slightly, it could be a discretionary trust of £100,000 in favour of the three nieces (with Magnus as trustee).

ReputationRep:
    Gift of 150k.

Desire to use 100k. No certainty of intent, so no trust.

If there were certainty, that 100k would be a discretionary trust (to T's discretion how he shares the 100k amongst the three nieces).

Not possible for there to be a fixed trust, unless there was a fixed share for each niece (e.g. 1/3 each or 25% to A, 25% to B and 50% to C).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.