• PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Fitness is hugely important, and there's definitely an increasing drive for people to keep fit, and to improve their health. One of the problems with this is that gym memberships, sports clubs, and fitness sessions, can all be quite costly - particularly if you're a student, or otherwise on a budget. Below are a few suggestions of cost-free ways of keeping fit!

1. Walking
    As simple as it seems, walking is still a good way to improve your fitness; 10k is the recommended number of steps per day, but if that seems too daunting, you can aim to build on your previous day, or on your average, and work your way up from there. Most smartphones have some kind of built in tracker, or a free app to download, so you won't need to spend anything to track your steps either.

2. Outdoor Gyms
    Gym memberships may be costly, but many parks now have outdoor gyms that are free to use - they even have instructions on different exercises you can do, so don't be put off if you're unsure how to use them. If that's not your cup of tea, then many gym chains also offer free passes for a day, so it's well worth investigating that route if you want to try out the gym without trying out the prices.

3. Cycling
    Admittedly this one is only free if you have, or can borrow, a bike, but cycling is definitely a good medium for upping your fitness. If you can, try switching to cycling for your journey to university, work, or otherwise, or even just go for a cycle around your local area!

4. Sports
    Whilst this one may seem a little vague, it is intended to be - sports clubs may be costly, but playing football, cricket, or any other sport, with friends is free. Even if there are only a couple of you, going to the park for a kick-around, or whatever else you come up with, can be a great way to get some exercise, and have some fun to boot.

5. Couch to 5K
    Couch to 5K is one I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of before, but for those who haven't, it's a free running plan for beginners, designed to get you from square one, all the way up to being able to run 5K. It's a good goal to aim for, as well as being incredibly satisfying if you manage to reach the target!

What are your top ways of keeping fit for free? Do you have any tips for those just starting out?

Check out the other GOLDEN THREADS here >>

Edit: We have hand picked some of the gems from this thread, see if your's is featured!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There are videos on Youtube of things like yoga, pilates, etc.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My house is 40 minutes walk uphill from the nearest bus stop. That certainly keeps me fit. :p:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Love a good yoga walkthrough on YouTube! There's loads of different workouts and fitness routines on there, it's great!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I love cycling My bike was £20 on Gumtree so saved me hundreds of £££ that I otherwise would have spent on buses (or hours that I would have spent walking).

A few boroughs in London (I lived in Haringey) run free courses for adults if you're new to it/out of practice and need a refresher. I never did it but I believe it included an intro to basic bike maintenance as well so it looked worth it if you're not a confident cyclist.

In November a few Evans shops ran free evenings about winter cycling (maintenance in wet conditions, what to wear etc). As you can imagine part of it was an excuse to try and sell you expensive bike stuff, but you got a free goodie bag on the way in and I learnt a lot so I would recommend it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Does walking to college count?
    Tbh I dont really exercise much, mostly because I dont really need to (not trying to sound vain). Like occasionally I'll make myself a healthy smoothie or eat fruits everyday but other than that I dont do anything active.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Getting out of my bed to get food from the fridge.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Zombies, Run!
    The only way you're going to see me run is in a Zombie apocalypse, and damn this app has sprints added into workouts to make you run away from zombies to pass (with audio sound effects in your headphones as well)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx)
    Does walking to college count?
    Tbh I dont really exercise much, mostly because I dont really need to (not tyring to sound vain). Like occasionally I'll make myself a healthy smoothie or eat fruits everyday but other than that I dont do anything active.
    Absolutely! It's all about getting moving. Everyone needs to exercise it's not about losing weight or looking better, it's about improving fitness and health. Your walking to college is a good example of a regular activity!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Fitness is hugely important, and there's definitely an increasing drive for people to keep fit, and to improve their health. One of the problems with this is that gym memberships, sports clubs, and fitness sessions, can all be quite costly - particularly if you're a student, or otherwise on a budget. Below are a few suggestions of cost-free ways of keeping fit!

1. Walking
    As simple as it seems, walking is still a good way to improve your fitness; 10k is the recommended number of steps per day, but if that seems too daunting, you can aim to build on your previous day, or on your average, and work your way up from there. Most smartphones have some kind of built in tracker, or a free app to download, so you won't need to spend anything to track your steps either.

2. Outdoor Gyms
    Gym memberships may be costly, but many parks now have outdoor gyms that are free to use - they even have instructions on different exercises you can do, so don't be put off if you're unsure how to use them. If that's not your cup of tea, then many gym chains also offer free passes for a day, so it's well worth investigating that route if you want to try out the gym without trying out the prices.

3. Cycling
    Admittedly this one is only free if you have, or can borrow, a bike, but cycling is definitely a good medium for upping your fitness. If you can, try switching to cycling for your journey to university, work, or otherwise, or even just go for a cycle around your local area!

4. Sports
    Whilst this one may seem a little vague, it is intended to be - sports clubs may be costly, but playing football, cricket, or any other sport, with friends is free. Even if there are only a couple of you, going to the park for a kick-around, or whatever else you come up with, can be a great way to get some exercise, and have some fun to boot.

5. Couch to 5K
    Couch to 5K is one I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of before, but for those who haven't, it's a free running plan for beginners, designed to get you from square one, all the way up to being able to run 5K. It's a good goal to aim for, as well as being incredibly satisfying if you manage to reach the target!

What are your top ways of keeping fit for free? Do you have any tips for those just starting out?
    Walking is great
    even doing 10k us a struggle for me, but when I get out of the house, there is never a goal and then go for the most calorific drink ever, but whatever it takes to get fit
    Also every trip to get food and other shopping is like 2.5k (give or take, depending on how indecisive I become lol), and a city trip is a good 4k if I feel like a little break from life is in order
    I never seem to put weight on at all so that is always a good sign in my book
    If you ever struggle to get up to get out, I recommend trying to walk to the shop, instead of getting a bus or a drive, also saves cash and walking back with bags is a good workout too
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I swear by YouTube video! You can do them from the comfort of your home and you can you can do as many (or as little) as you want. Also just going for a walk or making a conscious effort to take the stairs, it all adds up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I run to and from work - actively saves me money as the alternative is bus or taxi! It's actually slightly quicker too.

In fact I've been doing it so long that i find it very hard to contemplate how people run when it's not part of a commute any more! Like, that would take time and effort! Combining it with travel it's so much easier!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I really like couch to 5k, I'm trying something similar and it's changed my lifestyle quite a lot!

ReputationRep:

1. Walking

2. Outdoor Gyms

3. Cycling

4. Sports

5. Couch to 5K

The Nike workout app really helped me! You can target specific areas of your body and even do Yoga on the go. It allows a selection of short or long workouts

ReputationRep:
    Walking. Or find a good yoga video on YouTube to do at home.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised the amount of people who drop over £30 a week on Starbucks/McDonalds and then say they don't have enough money for a gym membership.

Nevertheless:
    The best way to get healthy in my opinion is Free-running.
    Free-running requires so much strength and stamina that it's good to improve strength and stamina simultaneously.
    There's plenty of free-running parks and if you don't want to go to an exclusive park, you can free run anywhere (Make sure it's legal).
    Climb trees. Jump walls, etc

In my opinion: Everyone who reads this post in one time in their life has caught a mode of transport when they could have walked.
    Every week, I always see a woman who'd catch the bus 2 stops and that's it.
    Why not walk it?
    I'm not stating you should walk to London from Barnsley or something, but instead of Catching the lift to the top floor of the store, why not take the stairs?
    You can ever stay on your toes and in doing so, you'll be incorporating the calves a large amount into your workout.

ReputationRep:
    In the summer I like to go nature trail hiking, which is basically just glorified walking :lol: but lasts a good 5-8 hours per session.

other than that the only exercise I do is walking to and from the city centre from my house 4ish times per week. Too cold to go walking without a reason right now
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    Walking. Or find a good yoga video on YouTube to do at home.
    YouTube is absolutely full of great exercise videos, especially yoga. I might actually give one a go now!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have a pull up bar in my room and around 50kg worth of weight. I use my lifting belt to attach some weights to me and get going with the pull ups/chin ups. Then for abs you can just do some planks, sit ups, etc. With a pull up bar you can also do hanging leg raises. (Weighted or just body weight you decide)
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff

1. Walking

2. Outdoor Gyms

3. Cycling

4. Sports

5. Couch to 5K

Mine is just walking and cycling love them both free and gets me out in the fresh air?

Also does housework count as exercise
    I do loads of that and its exhausting so in my head I am goign to count that hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.