Turn on thread page Beta

[SPORT RELIEF GOLDEN THREAD] What are your top ways to get fit for free? watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Fitness is hugely important, and there's definitely an increasing drive for people to keep fit, and to improve their health. One of the problems with this is that gym memberships, sports clubs, and fitness sessions, can all be quite costly - particularly if you're a student, or otherwise on a budget. Below are a few suggestions of cost-free ways of keeping fit!

1. Walking
    As simple as it seems, walking is still a good way to improve your fitness; 10k is the recommended number of steps per day, but if that seems too daunting, you can aim to build on your previous day, or on your average, and work your way up from there. Most smartphones have some kind of built in tracker, or a free app to download, so you won't need to spend anything to track your steps either.

2. Outdoor Gyms
    Gym memberships may be costly, but many parks now have outdoor gyms that are free to use - they even have instructions on different exercises you can do, so don't be put off if you're unsure how to use them. If that's not your cup of tea, then many gym chains also offer free passes for a day, so it's well worth investigating that route if you want to try out the gym without trying out the prices.

3. Cycling
    Admittedly this one is only free if you have, or can borrow, a bike, but cycling is definitely a good medium for upping your fitness. If you can, try switching to cycling for your journey to university, work, or otherwise, or even just go for a cycle around your local area!

4. Sports
    Whilst this one may seem a little vague, it is intended to be - sports clubs may be costly, but playing football, cricket, or any other sport, with friends is free. Even if there are only a couple of you, going to the park for a kick-around, or whatever else you come up with, can be a great way to get some exercise, and have some fun to boot.

5. Couch to 5K
    Couch to 5K is one I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of before, but for those who haven't, it's a free running plan for beginners, designed to get you from square one, all the way up to being able to run 5K. It's a good goal to aim for, as well as being incredibly satisfying if you manage to reach the target!

What are your top ways of keeping fit for free? Do you have any tips for those just starting out?

Check out the other GOLDEN THREADS here >>
    Mine is just walking and cycling love them both free and gets me out in the fresh air?

Also does housework count as exercise
    I do loads of that and its exhausting so in my head I am goign to count that hehe
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Fitness is hugely important, and there's definitely an increasing drive for people to keep fit, and to improve their health. One of the problems with this is that gym memberships, sports clubs, and fitness sessions, can all be quite costly - particularly if you're a student, or otherwise on a budget. Below are a few suggestions of cost-free ways of keeping fit!

1. Walking
    As simple as it seems, walking is still a good way to improve your fitness; 10k is the recommended number of steps per day, but if that seems too daunting, you can aim to build on your previous day, or on your average, and work your way up from there. Most smartphones have some kind of built in tracker, or a free app to download, so you won't need to spend anything to track your steps either.

2. Outdoor Gyms
    Gym memberships may be costly, but many parks now have outdoor gyms that are free to use - they even have instructions on different exercises you can do, so don't be put off if you're unsure how to use them. If that's not your cup of tea, then many gym chains also offer free passes for a day, so it's well worth investigating that route if you want to try out the gym without trying out the prices.

3. Cycling
    Admittedly this one is only free if you have, or can borrow, a bike, but cycling is definitely a good medium for upping your fitness. If you can, try switching to cycling for your journey to university, work, or otherwise, or even just go for a cycle around your local area!

4. Sports
    Whilst this one may seem a little vague, it is intended to be - sports clubs may be costly, but playing football, cricket, or any other sport, with friends is free. Even if there are only a couple of you, going to the park for a kick-around, or whatever else you come up with, can be a great way to get some exercise, and have some fun to boot.

5. Couch to 5K
    Couch to 5K is one I'm sure a lot of you will have heard of before, but for those who haven't, it's a free running plan for beginners, designed to get you from square one, all the way up to being able to run 5K. It's a good goal to aim for, as well as being incredibly satisfying if you manage to reach the target!

What are your top ways of keeping fit for free? Do you have any tips for those just starting out?

Mine is just walking and cycling love them both free and gets me out in the fresh air?

Also does housework count as exercise
    I do loads of that and its exhausting so in my head I am going to count that hehe

ReputationRep:
    Go for a run

Though I occasionally do circuit stuff in my room- sets of pushups, situps dips etc. - there are apps for these for free.

ReputationRep:
    Having a job that requires a lot of moving about does help

ReputationRep:
    I swear living on the top floor in a uni hall with no lifts has done wonders for my physical health. Walking is great and easy. I would do push ups/sit ups etc but rn I'm having a storage space crisis so there's just not enough room on my floor for it at the mo.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Running isn't free at all. You need decent shoes. Whilst you can get away with cheap clothing, you can't get away with having cheap running shoes.

ReputationRep:
    White collar boxing is free and it's for a good cause. I did one back end of 2016. 3 months of free training and all you have to do is sell tickes and raise money in the process .

ReputationRep:
    I mainly just go on walks every week, along the Esplanade or in the local hill area, it's pretty good and along with walking to and from my bus stop and around the town it keeps me in decent shape
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I do dance, kickboxing and Zumba sessions at home using prime TV (or youtube if you don't have prime)

ReputationRep:

1. Walking

2. Outdoor Gyms

3. Cycling

4. Sports

5. Couch to 5K

I cycle to and from university every day (10 miles each way). Start off on quiet roads so you aren't too scared by London roads

ReputationRep:
    Does skipping meals count?

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest one for most people would be to do circuit exercises at home, it can be done at your own pace, or you could use one of the many free apps, such as 7 minute workouts, Sworkit, etc. Or find some 30 day challenges for various muscle groups online.

ReputationRep:
    On basically every day of the week, I finish collage at 4:15 and my bus doesn't come to the closest stop until 4:48

so, I keep on walking to the next bus stop
    and then to the next one
    and so on

I can get to a stop about 2.3 miles away before the bus gets to it, so yea
    better than going to the shop and buying a ton of chocolate for myself :'v

ReputationRep:
    walking to places instead of using car/public transport

ReputationRep:
    going up and down the stairs at home repeatedly

ReputationRep:
    dancing

ReputationRep:
    1. Exercise
    It could be walking around the whole house, running in the garden, cycling in the countryside/forest/up a hill or even a few laps in your local area. Any form of activity that gets you pumped up helps to get fit as you sweat more.
    2. Campaigns
    For example: Taking part in marathons like Race for Life (Cancer research) in which you are able to run/jog all for a good cause too
    3. Yoga
    Stretching helps your muscles and mind. It creates an atmosphere of calmness around you in which you are able to also maintain your metabolism, improve athletic performance and vitality
    4. Music
    Listening to music (any type) can actually help to relieve anxiety, it's a major performance enhancer and put you in a good mood.

ReputationRep:
    Diet is a huge part of keeping healthy for me. I try to stay away from sugary snacks but not completely of course, I do self-indulge every now and then. It really is difficult though. Other than that the only real sport I'd say I do is cycling, especially in the early morning it's beautiful to do - so peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    As of today, trudging in the snow, getting my face blasted by icy winds. Wakes you up in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    just walk a lot!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.