The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Sociology 7192 - 05/13/15 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Anyone getting their papers re-marked? I am one mark off a B (didn't even expect to get a C!). I've heard of some people getting their re-marked papers back but they were different exam boards.

Or anyone had experience of getting their Sociology paper remarked?
Original post by bibsss
Yes you do. I got a C in A2 sociology last year and had to resit all. I got the highest marks on the education paper and the rest were a mess lol. Unfortunately, you cannot retake one paper only. Also if you choose to study again IN class you'll need up to £300 for both AS and A2.
Personally I think it's worth it. But you do have the option to just pay for the fees and study by yourself, which you will be doing in uni anyway.

what do you mean a2 sociology? theres 3 papers for the entire a level? x
my centre is £60 per unit so 3x60
okay so i did a level sociology in ONE YEAR and I got grade B 17 marks off an A. do you think its possible to get an A next year?? x
Original post by alevelshelpit
what do you mean a2 sociology? theres 3 papers for the entire a level? x
my centre is £60 per unit so 3x60
okay so i did a level sociology in ONE YEAR and I got grade B 17 marks off an A. do you think its possible to get an A next year?? x

100% possible. I stayed a third year at college. Started college Sep 2015, Did my AS Sociology exam May 2016 (grade B), my A2 exam in June 2017 (grade C). That's obviously shite lol so had to retake Sociology (3 papers) in June 2018 and got an A. It is possible trust me.
Original post by bibsss
100% possible. I stayed a third year at college. Started college Sep 2015, Did my AS Sociology exam May 2016 (grade B), my A2 exam in June 2017 (grade C). That's obviously shite lol so had to retake Sociology (3 papers) in June 2018 and got an A. It is possible trust me.

what shall i do differently though? like what did you do differently to get that A?
what shall i do differently though? like what did you do differently to get that A?

Someone asked me this too. I'd say start revision early not in March! Have a grid or tables/box where you write every topic and tick them. My boxes included class notes, revision notes and planned essay. This means I went over each topic twice (I really didn't, If you already know a topic you don't need to do everything just identify the difficult ones).

Week before the exam. I'd write down a topic in a paper/white board (i.e Realism) then remember the main points, the possible theorists and have a positive or negative point (i.e. determinism idk anything) and that's all I did. You just have to memorise in Sociology.
Original post by bibsss
Someone asked me this too. I'd say start revision early not in March! Have a grid or tables/box where you write every topic and tick them. My boxes included class notes, revision notes and planned essay. This means I went over each topic twice (I really didn't, If you already know a topic you don't need to do everything just identify the difficult ones).

Week before the exam. I'd write down a topic in a paper/white board (i.e Realism) then remember the main points, the possible theorists and have a positive or negative point (i.e. determinism idk anything) and that's all I did. You just have to memorise in Sociology.

my lowest mark was crime (45 marks)

did you redo your notes or just memorise? do you have any planned essays i could have?
my lowest mark was crime (45 marks)

did you redo your notes or just memorise? do you have any planned essays i could have?

Memorised it and seem different versions of the same essays if that makes sense. (http://revise-sociology-aqa.tumblr.com/A2) (getrevising.co.uk)

I have absolutely nothing to give to you, from papers to word/Powerpoint document have all been deleted. All I have is my book which I cannot sell lol.
Original post by bibsss
I received the same grade and will be studying the same subject. Which university was your firm choice? (If you don't mind me asking.)

I'm still annoyed about the fact we didn't get any question on theory, I've revised for it almost every day last weeks till the exam!

I'm going to the University of Kent. I'm mad about the lack of theory too, I MEMORISED all of them, I was soo ready because theory is my worst.
I really need to see how many marks off I was from a B because i'm pissed with this C...
Original post by Cereidee
I'm going to the University of Kent. I'm mad about the lack of theory too, I MEMORISED all of them, I was soo ready because theory is my worst.

Same, and congrats!
Original post by bibsss

Hi, I’m in the same situation got a C so will be re-taking the whole 3 papers. What advice would you give to a retake. I have all my notes but I just don’t know where to start (again) 😭
Reply 771
Original post by 4.4KitKat
Anyone getting their papers re-marked? I am one mark off a B (didn't even expect to get a C!). I've heard of some people getting their re-marked papers back but they were different exam boards.

Or anyone had experience of getting their Sociology paper remarked?

I’m getting mine remarked😊 do you have any idea how long it takes to get them back yet?
Just thought I’d say thank you to all that posted help and revision on this thread as I ended up getting a very unexpected A*, I’ve never got one in my whole life lol not even at GCSE, so yeah thank you so much! To those that are retaking, let me know if you would like any advice!!
Original post by billiezini
Just thought I’d say thank you to all that posted help and revision on this thread as I ended up getting a very unexpected A*, I’ve never got one in my whole life lol not even at GCSE, so yeah thank you so much! To those that are retaking, let me know if you would like any advice!!

I would definitely like some advice, I was predicted an A* but things didn’t go to plan.
Reply 774
Hey I got an a*, my advice would be to make flashcards with the key theorists on it for each topic like theories of family, Parsons Murdock and then get someone to test u and see if you know the theory!!
Also make sure you evaluate everything!! When revising theorists, pair theorists together that can evaluate each other!! Post modernists are great to evaluate essays overall in a conclusion as well, I think that’s what I did. Also make sure you use contemporary issues as examples, so keep an eye on recent news articles
Original post by _Hafsa
Hi, I’m in the same situation got a C so will be re-taking the whole 3 papers. What advice would you give to a retake. I have all my notes but I just don’t know where to start (again) 😭

I've written it above.
I was in the same situation. It was terrible. but I had all notes.
I am so annoyed at myself ! I got 59 on paper 1 and 65 on paper 2 but completely ruined paper 3 and only got 37 so missed out on getting an A !!! I blame it on it being my last exam !
Hey! I’ve just finished year 13 and got an A in sociology!! I found essay plans the best way to revise as it helps you with exam technique as well as content. I literally planned a question for every topic which basically meant I covered alll the content so, therefore I was prepared for any question. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending