Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Got rejected from UCL due to my school's error. What can I do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On 5th January I got rejected by LSE, in which they said I had below the predicted grades needed for the course, even though I had the grades. So I got in touch with the school and asked them what's happened, and they said that they messed up the predicted grades on the reference. They said they will sort it out the following Monday (8th) by contacting all my unis.
    For the time being, I contacted the universities yet to give me a decision and emailed them stating what had happened and that my school will fix it within three days.
    However, the following day (6th), UCL rejected me, giving the same reason as LSE.
    On Monday, my school's UCAS person contacted all my universities, and LSE said they will look at my application again, as there was a genuine error on the school's behalf.
    But UCL said that it is their policy to not reconsider applications with wrong predicted grades AFTER a decision has been made.
    I find this ridiculous as:
    1. People can't find out their predicted grades are wrong until a uni rejects them.
    2. I emailed them the day before they rejected me, stating that there has been an error and asked them to hold on for time being.

I just feel pissed off and stressed because none of this was my fault and UCL was pretty much my dream uni.

Is there any action at all I can take against this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by adam_winterb)
    On 5th January I got rejected by LSE, in which they said I had below the predicted grades needed for the course, even though I had the grades. So I got in touch with the school and asked them what's happened, and they said that they messed up the predicted grades on the reference. They said they will sort it out the following Monday (8th) by contacting all my unis.
    For the time being, I contacted the universities yet to give me a decision and emailed them stating what had happened and that my school will fix it within three days.
    However, the following day (6th), UCL rejected me, giving the same reason as LSE.
    On Monday, my school's UCAS person contacted all my universities, and LSE said they will look at my application again, as there was a genuine error on the school's behalf.
    But UCL said that it is their policy to not reconsider applications with wrong predicted grades AFTER a decision has been made.
    I find this ridiculous as:
    1. People can't find out their predicted grades are wrong until a uni rejects them.
    2. I emailed them the day before they rejected me, stating that there has been an error and asked them to hold on for time being.

I just feel pissed off and stressed because none of this was my fault and UCL was pretty much my dream uni.

Is there any action at all I can take against this?
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-m...issions-policy
    Revising UCAS Applications Following Submission
    20. UCL considers the information contained on an application as complete and accurate at the point of submission to UCAS. It is not anticipated that any amendments will be made to the personal statement, the reference or the grade predictions provided in the reference.
    21. Should a school/college wish to submit additional information that has not been solicited by UCL then this must be done prior to a decision being taken on the application and no later than 15th January UCAS deadline, whichever is earlier.
    22. Revisions to predicted grades will only be considered if there has been a genuine administrative error on the part of the school/college when the original reference was completed. Any requests for such a revision must be supported by a statement from the school/college indicating that such an error has occurred. Such revisions will only be considered prior to UCL making a decision on the application and no later than the 15th January UCAS deadline, whichever is earlier.
    23. Applicants who wish to be considered as a consequence of revised predicted grades have the option of re-applying the following year, when they will be considered in competition with all other applicants.

I'm afraid they followed their policy - even if your school had contacted them quicker it needed to be before 15 January.
    Meet your predictions and see if they're open for adjustment or apply again next year.

ReputationRep:
    LSE is a better uni typically - good luck with their reconsideration!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/srs/academic-m...issions-policy
    Revising UCAS Applications Following Submission
    20. UCL considers the information contained on an application as complete and accurate at the point of submission to UCAS. It is not anticipated that any amendments will be made to the personal statement, the reference or the grade predictions provided in the reference.
    21. Should a school/college wish to submit additional information that has not been solicited by UCL then this must be done prior to a decision being taken on the application and no later than 15th January UCAS deadline, whichever is earlier.
    22. Revisions to predicted grades will only be considered if there has been a genuine administrative error on the part of the school/college when the original reference was completed. Any requests for such a revision must be supported by a statement from the school/college indicating that such an error has occurred. Such revisions will only be considered prior to UCL making a decision on the application and no later than the 15th January UCAS deadline, whichever is earlier.
    23. Applicants who wish to be considered as a consequence of revised predicted grades have the option of re-applying the following year, when they will be considered in competition with all other applicants.

I'm afraid they followed their policy - even if your school had contacted them quicker it needed to be before 15 January.
    Meet your predictions and see if they're open for adjustment or apply again next year.
    Sorry, I meant 6th of January not February. They did fix it before 15th Jan but not before UCL made a decision
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by adam_winterb)
    Sorry, I meant 6th of January not February. They did fix it before 15th Jan but not before UCL made a decision
    Then it was still too late - they followed their policy so there's no grounds to appeal their decision.

If UCL is your dream then taking an extra year to get there is going to be worthwhile. If taking a gap year isn't something you want to consider then UCL probably isn't your dream...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.