Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have applied to: St Andrew's, University of Birmingham, UEA, Keele and Chichester. I have conditional offers for all 5 choices, but I'm unsure as to who I should but as my firm and who should be my insurance.

I am predicted ABB but my expected grades are CCC. I go to an underperforming school so it is unlikely I'll achieve anything higher than an ABB. However, St Andrews is my dream university and they've offered me a conditional of AAB. Birmingham on the other hand have offered me ABB if I put them as my firm but AAB if I put them as my insurance.
    Logic tells me to put Birmingham as my firm and Keele as my insurance, but I love St Andrews.
    If I put St Andrews as my firm my offer to Birmingham is upped to the same grades required for St Andrews. However, If I put Birmingham as my firm then there is no point accepting my St Andrews offer as it is higher than Birmingham.

What do you think I should do?

Why don’t you put St. Andrews as your firm and keele as your insurance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

birmingham and st andrews are going to have two very different cohorts of students. personally i wouldn't like to in st andrews but everyone's different.

You love St Andrews, put it as your firm and work harder to get the grades.

It might be an underperforming school, but people self-teach subjects and do well, so it's possible with some commitment at home.

If you're the sort of person that wants to go to a good uni, put Bham as your insurance. If you got ABB and St Andrews rejected you, it's incredibly unlikely that Bham wouldn't take you despite their distasteful manipulation to influence you to firm them.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.