Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend so obsessed with football? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sound like a silly question BUT it's getting a bit ridiculous, my boyfriend of two years is one hundred percent obsessed with football, I've never heard him speak with such passion about anything or anyone else, not even me D: lol. I really don't have any interest in football and find it incredibly boring, neither do any of my male friends, but my bf is just on another level.

I just don't know how to react when he's telling me all about the football games, he talks to me about it as if I'm another fan just obsessed as him, in the past I couldn't help retorting something sarcastic like "wow, sounds amazing" because I can't help being sarcastic about it when he talks to me like I'm another of his football obsessed guy mates. But he has generally got mad at me for being sarcastic about it but I just don't know how else to respond without lying!

The other day he was sending me videos of the match he went to,detailing everything that happened, showing me vids of him shouting and singing along, going on about how it was an incredible experience, an experience like no other, and how the fans singing made him "shiver" and then he was saying how I need to go to a match with him and how I should support a team, I mean I just cringed so much but I don't want to upset him so I pretended to be interested even though I never will be. I said stuff like I wouldn't know what team to support, hoping he'd drop it but no, he then listed off all the teams i could support and i was thinking omg no just stop.

I don't want to upset him but I don't know how to stop making him think I'd be into it and talking this much about it?
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Just have a calm talk with him. Say you get that football is something he finds amazing, but you don't have that same passion. However it is possible for you to show some interest. You don't have to be sarcastic. When he says something just say "That's really good". Be respectful that he is excited about this and wants to share it with you, but also make him realise that you aren't such a big fan so you can't get so excited.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I agree with the top post. Just express your feelings to him and he'll understand
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by beneficialgirl)
    I know this might sound like a silly question BUT it's getting a bit ridiculous, my boyfriend of two years is one hundred percent obsessed with football, I've never heard him speak with such passion about anything or anyone else, not even me D: lol. I really don't have any interest in football and find it incredibly boring, neither do any of my male friends, but my bf is just on another level.

I just don't know how to react when he's telling me all about the football games, he talks to me about it as if I'm another fan just obsessed as him, in the past I couldn't help retorting something sarcastic like "wow, sounds amazing" because I can't help being sarcastic about it when he talks to me like I'm another of his football obsessed guy mates. But he has generally got mad at me for being sarcastic about it but I just don't know how else to respond without lying!

The other day he was sending me videos of the match he went to,detailing everything that happened, showing me vids of him shouting and singing along, going on about how it was an incredible experience, an experience like no other, and how the fans singing made him "shiver" and then he was saying how I need to go to a match with him and how I should support a team, I mean I just cringed so much but I don't want to upset him so I pretended to be interested even though I never will be. I said stuff like I wouldn't know what team to support, hoping he'd drop it but no, he then listed off all the teams i could support and i was thinking omg no just stop.

I don't want to upset him but I don't know how to stop making him think I'd be into it and talking this much about it?
    What DrawTheLine said

Have you ever been to a game btw? Im not saying it will change your view, but going to a game is such a different experience and atmospheric than just watching it on the telly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    What DrawTheLine said

Have you ever been to a game btw? Im not saying it will change your view, but going to a game is such a different experience and atmospheric than just watching it on the telly.
    :lolwut::no::nutcase:nah, i know it really wouldn't be my thing D:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by beneficialgirl)
    :lolwut::no::nutcase:nah, i know it really wouldn't be my thing D:
    Thats fair

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.